Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP Wasp engine help?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP Wasp engine help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Wasp engine help?

Hi, after many hours of great service, both my AP Wasps appear to be entering their death throes! Need some suggestions on what I should do.

The first one seems to have lost compression. there isn't that smart snap when you turn the prop. Starting now requires a starter and even then, is a challenge. Running is momentary and it dies soon after.

Engine no.2 is a little better - the compression is much better and starting can be accomplished without a starter though its not as easy as when the engine was just run in. It will run fine , but not below half throttle. Transition when its in the moood is ok.

Tried changing the plugs and varying the shim washers on both engine but to no avail. Also checked for loose screws etc but everything seems tight.

For engine #1, should I think about trying to get a new piston/head set? Was told that ABC engines in generaL will never run as well with a replacement set.

For engine #2, any suggestions as to the cause of the problem, or is it just wearing out? On the bench, it seems to be run a little better and I can throttle down to about 1/3 without the engine cutting out. Thoguht there was problem with the fuel system, but its still the same after changing all the tubing.

I know these are considered inferior copies of the norvels, but hey, they're half the price and perform well on the right plane.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: AP Wasp engine help?

efish --

What fuel blend are you running?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
efish

Was running 15% Omega. For break in, I added castor to bring the lube content to at least 30%.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30% is a LOT of lube, you may just be drowning out the heating element under about 1/2 throttle..cant help with engine #1...Rog, although that much lube could also be increasing pressure/compression and actually wearing out the engines faster, but that would be subjective theory..
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 PM
efish

Oh, sorry I wasn't clearer - post break in, I'm running about 20% lube.

Thanks. How many hours should I be expecting to get out of these engines? I don't push them too hard, and generally try to run them a little on the rich side.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 AM
AndyW

Sounds like it's simply time for an overhaul. But instead of getting Wasp replacement parts, consider getting a piston/cylinder set from LiteMachines. They're made by Norvel and will drop into your Wasp with no problems. The good thing is that one, they're still available and two, the extreme tightness the Revlite engines are famous for has been reduced considerably with the latest run for LiteMachines. No 100 flips or heat gun required. Just your usual one tank's worth of break-in and go fly.

A new engine from LM gave me 19.9K on a 6 X 3 Grish prop and 25% Cool Power fuel.

That can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h76s_N8WPs

It would be interesting to see what a Wasp hybrid would do.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM
gcedillo

Where can you get those Lite Machines parts?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:53 AM
AndyW

Their website seems to be down but you can call them at 765-463-0959. Last I checked some 4 weeks ago, they had lots of complete engines and parts.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
gcedillo

Thank you Andy
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
KidEpoxy

I dont supose adding car engine junk would help compression, like Motor Honey or whatnot?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
efish

Hi Andy, thanks! that's a great idea for me to try.

Will try calling at the local agent to see if they have one in stock or can order one in for me. I should be getting the Vmax 6 piston/cylinder set, right (as opposed to the current vmax 7 set)? Pricing would be an issue because the prices I'm seeing on the net are about 2/3 the cost of getting a new Wasp!

Never occurred to me even though I happen to have a Lite Machines heli lying around (real cheap off the LHS's junk heap). Still thinking about a powerplant for that.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:08 PM
efish

One further question: will the Norvel 0.061 piston/cylinder set fit the wasp? Might be able to get one at the LHS though its probably an iffy proposition at best.

Don't mind the tight flip - I generally do the 200 flip thing anyway.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:46 PM
AndyW

efish,

Yes, the VMax6 is for their original .06 engine. Yes, it's a drop in replacement.