Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Recomended model for a Enya 09

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Recomended model for a Enya 09

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 AM
martin_solo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recomended model for a Enya 09

Hello,

what would be a good model for an Enya 09?

I like to fly basic stunt stuff. Loops, rolls and wingovers

thank you,

Martin
Old 08-28-2006, 01:55 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Recomended model for a Enya 09

The Enya is not a strong engine and it's quite heavy to boot. But if you want a nice model then consider the DNU blown up to about 40 inch span and built light. That would be nice with the Enya.

Oops, I see that you're new here. Welcome to RCU and the small model area of the site. The DNU is our own ptulmer's little shoulder wing hot rod. You can go to his website and download the Acrobat file of the plans for the model. Then a quick trip to a shop with a good photocopier and you have your slightly blown up plans for the 40 inch version.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin,

Though the Enya .09 is not a high-performance engine by todays standards, it is a strong running baffled engine that develops its best power at a lower RPM. Try a 8x4 prop, 15% nitro and 22% lube (at least half castor). Since it has an iron/steel piston and liner use all castor lube if it has been run extensively. Peoperly cared for it will last a long, long time.

Search through the threads and find the Enya .09 one. Down about 5 pages to 7/25/06.
George
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Martin, I have an Enya 09 IV BBTV, and I've built and flown the stock DNU with an 0.061 engine.

I'm also looking for a model for my Enya - Put it in a LST (40"high wing trainer) with a 8x3 prop but it was way too fast and much too powerful.

My best memories of the DNU are with the the engine really screaming along and the plane lightly loaded. Not sure if the enya will do well because it seems to be more a puller than a screamer.

For discussion, how about a Pacer or a Jr. Falcon? (plans here: http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/)

Either that, or perhaps a scaled down 3D model (or a scaled up Half wit)? Think with a 9x3 prop, it would be fantastic to fly high alpha and try hovering around! Or course, a quicker way would be just to put it in a scaled down PBF.....
Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I have my Enya .09 plain bearing in a 46" old-timer called a HepCat. With an 8*4 prop, which it turns at 12,500rpm, it gets off the ground in about 3 feet! It's *way* too powerful for this model.

Does SIG still do the Hummer? That might be a good model for it.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Hi John, thanks. I remember you mentioning the Hummer before. However, I was hoping to build from plans.

Martin, if you're interested, the Hummer is still available, I think:

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC50.html
Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my Enya .09 III, a 60s type with a butterfly exhaust baffle, in a Petite Parasol of the same vintage (MAN 3/66--plans still available from MAN). Wingspan is 41 inch, two square feet, 28 oz. Witn an MA 8 x 3 it has plenty of power, very fast climb, takes off quickly. Later versions of the Enya 09 are much more powerful.

Take a look at "Chips" by Randy Randolf, Flying Models Magazine--same size as my "Petite" but low wing w ailerons and can be built even lighter. Easy to scratch build, attractive semi-scale look, semi-symm airfoil, very capable.

Jim
Old 08-29-2006, 09:34 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came across this 46 yr old design named Snoopy with a .15 on the plans. Something about it struck a chord with me. It's supposed to spin really well, too. It's 48" but could be scaled down a bit for an .09, maybe strip ailerons instead of the barn doors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52261.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	515653  
Old 08-30-2006, 12:30 PM
ebeneezer3

RCM plans lists a Model called the "Mad Thrasher". Originally designed for Galloping Ghost single channel, hence the name. It was meant to have an 09. Plans show 3 channels motor,elevator and rudder. Looks kind of fun, I'll build it one day.

Ted
Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin,

You might try one of the many Randy Randolph designs. An index can be found on SMALLnet... http://www.eskimo.com/~smallnet/

BTW, Randy held the Enya .09 in high regard.

George
Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for mentioning that list, George. Of the Randolph designs, for the .09, Chips and Nacho will give very lively low wing performance, Homer would be a more docile low wing plane on the 09 but still fairly capable if kept light, while Dime and Twilighter (II? I think) would give relaxing OT/trainer performance. Most of the others were designed for other engine sizes though nearly all could be adapted for 09--for example G-Man would be very nice on 09 too. Jim