Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel .049 / .061 Carb Swap?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel .049 / .061 Carb Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .049 / .061 Carb Swap?

Earlier this summer during an otherwise uneventful flight, my radio gear decided to find out how far my DNU would get buried if it flew straight into the ground from around 75' up. To be honest, I'm not sure I would have tried this "experiment" all on my own but since my radio gear forced the issue I made the best of the situation. (the radio gear now sits in the garage gathering dust until it assures me that it won't kickoff any new "experiments")

A byproduct of the experiment was a busted R/C carb on one of my favorite Norvel .061s, and with the shortage of Norvel parts I can't locate an RC carb anywhere. Would any of you fellow Norvel-hoarders out there be interested in swapping an R/C carb for a C/L venturi? Better yet, anyone happen to have a "spare" RC carb that they would be willing to part with or swap - Perhaps a couple of RC carbs for a lightly used Norvel .049? Ok, probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

EG

PS - The result of the experiment was "buried right up to the engine cylinder", but that's only because the summer drought hadn't hit yet and the ground was still somewhat soft. Oddly enough, aside from the carb and the servo tray, the rest of the plane survived completely intact! I don't recommend that any of you newbies try this experiment at home - this kind of test should only be done by experienced professionals...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Norvel .049 / .061 Carb Swap?

Wonder if the Wasp engine carb would fit??....Rog
I too performed a similar experiment myself just this morning ,however my front end absorbed much of the blunt force so my .074 only went in as deep as the prop before dislodging and bailing out of said experiment and I too recommend you not try this at your field....
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: eroc144
Would any of you fellow Norvel-hoarders out there interested in swapping an R/C carb for a C/L carb?
EG
EG,

You might try on the RCU CL forum. Also try Stuka Stuntworks, another CL forum.

Some of those guys, if I remember correctly, are using RC versions with the carb wired open for CL use. Probably would be glad to swap.

George
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
eroc144

George - I posted on Stuka and have already arranged a swap. Thanks for the great lead!!

EG
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
eroc144

Turned out to be a false positive. The carb wasn't a bolt-on it was the older "friction fit" version. I'm still looking and need everyone's help!