Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a retracts on the bay

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a retracts on the bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/2a retracts on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

I asked the seller who makes/made them, but havent gotten a response..and its hard to tell how big they actually are...Rog
Old 09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a retracts on the bay

Here are the Robarts.... from a retail source.

http://www.robart.com/retracts/12A.aspx

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES09&P=7
Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
rainedave

I really like those old tires! Very cool. Is anyone making that style tire today? They remind me of Perfects.

Here's an ad from 1977 for a set of 1/2A retracts. Someone had the idea 30 years ago:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68621.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	525824  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
build light

Ace R/C had a tire that looked very much like that. Very light weight they were. The hubs were plastic unlike the Perfect Brand hub. The tires on the Perfect Brand were heavier rubber but the shape was nearly identical to what we see here. The smaller Ace wheels had smoothe hubs like you see on one side of these in the photo. I just don't know if the larger Ace wheel hubs had spokes or not. I never bought any from Ace over 1 1/4" Dia.

This reminds me that Ace had a hardware pack for a fantastic price that had hinges, horns, a 1 oz Sullivan tank, adjustable aileron horn set, wheels, wheel retainers and a 1" spinner That sold for an unbelievable low price considering what was in it. I wish they were still available!

Kraft also had some light wheels that looked very similar.

Robert
Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look sturdy enough, but at 1.8oz w/o tires and servos, I'd have to doubt their usefulness on an .049 powered airplane. That could be the difference between a good flier and a pig. In my mind, I'm seeing Norvel .074 power as the minimum, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

Ooh! Tower says they are lighter than Robart does, but also says you can't use micro servos.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 AM
hogflyer

Anoter question I have concerns the wire - are the legs molded into the plastic, or can they be changed out? If molded in, then you are stuck with the set length provided insetad of being able to adjust the length for a particular plane, or changing out the wire entirely.

Hogflyer
Old 09-18-2006, 10:25 AM
build light

Hogflyer, with this type of gear you do have some room for adustment as the set screw for the collar is the axle for the wheel. simply slide the wheel collar up or down to the desired point and then tighten the set screw. If you need to cut the wire then you would be limiting your choices for the next model yet there would still be some room to play with. The best choice would be to have a second set at some point in time and leave one long and the other shorter so that you will always have a set available.

I would advise some loctite on the setscrew so that under vibration the screw does not loosen and fall off in flight.[]

Robert