Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

which .15?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:18 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which .15?

I have a desire to get a .15 size motor. Always wanted a Cox but never did get one. That desire has not gone away but has been kept at bay by 2 things. No muffler and the throttle issues. A third issue has in recent years been the availability of the glo heads.

The muffler problem I believe has been solved by the easy to make and inexpensive price of the DIY CF pipe.

The glo head problem can be solved by using an adaptor for std glo plugs. For the smaller Coxes this is rather impractical because of the lage space in the std glo plug radically raising the combustion volume thus losing a great deal of power. Given the much larger displacement size I feel this would not be much of an issue. Please let me know otherwise!
That leaves the throttle. The answer to this would have I think a lot to do with whether it be a Tee Dee, Sportsman, Olympic or other.

So what do you Cox gurus think?

By the way this means I am in the market and I think I would trust you guys before I would *bay so if anyone has a good deal on what might suit me PLMK.

Robert
Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: which .15?

Rob, there seems to be a lot of Conquest's that show up NIB on ebay. If you want a real powerhouse, that might be the ticket. I like my Sportsman so much, I live in fear of flying it. (I'm an unabashed reedie lover) It looks neat sitting next to my Space Hopper. They show up frequently, but a really nice one can go for more than they're should be worth. (cost/power) Olympic's show up infrequently, but seem to always be NIB and quite costly.

Using the cost/power ratio, the TD is probably the best option, but the Sportsman and Olympic win using the cost/cool ratio.

... This isn't really something you can lose on unless you get a bad engine. All the options are nice!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Now this would be a project for the winter..... An olde TD 15, A carbon Fibre Muffler, and a carb srewed into the venturi. What is the thread in the carb body of a TD .15? But why bother.... ? OS has the .15 still, and cheap. There are still some Thunder Tigers around, and a few other brands that will just fill the bill.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:11 AM
build light

the only .15 I ever had I bought new about 15 years ago and it was an OS I think seriesIII It was inexpensive, bushed but still what I consider high quality. Easy to break in had a rock steady idle in all attitudes and to me put out more horse power than was feasably possible. Not as much as my .40 but I felt it would fly any plane that the .40 would fly and also do it ROG off grass! I never tried it to see but it was impressive with an 8/4 I never had the nerve to put on the 7/6 I had on hand.
I like the looks of the LA .15 but it seems heavier and a little wimpy in comparison. Then there is the double priced but more powerful ball bearinged model that somehow just turns me off because the price is so high.

The Magnum .15 seems like a good motor too. It is reasonably priced but I have virtually no knowledge regarding this one.

Its times like this I wish I were in a club.

skaliwag, your right one of the reasons I am leaning so hard towards the Cox as I explained in my first post is because I always wanted one and never got around to getting one. Time is growing shorter and theu are getting rarer. So many getting scooped up by collectors that already have several on hand have no plans to do anything more than sit it in a box or on a shelf.
I have wanted to try the pipe anyway and this would be the right time and place.

What about a Sportsman, Tee Dee or Olympic with a sliding valve in the pipe?

ptulmer said:
"the Sportsman and Olympic win using the cost/cool ratio."

You said a mouthful and though I am not trying for some super-tweaked monster HP mill, The Power/weight ratio enters here as well. Here the Cox would reign supreme in its weakest stock effort. Just thinking about how an Olympic with a CF pipe on itwould look mounted in even a simple trainer type plane would be just plain rockin'! Not to mention a sleek variety!

Conquests... A real winner to be sure but I have seen only the C/L versions lately.

Olympics have been IMO plentiful on the bay but I am not sure what a fair price should be.
Sportsmans too have been plentiful but many are NIP and go quite high.

Lets not leave out the Tee Dee. This would be really less trouble to get a good throttle operating on it.

thanks for input guys, Robert
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tee dee that has a diameter of 1.077 for the largest fin,,dont know if it is an .09 or a .15 or for certain what type it is, but it does have a throttle ring....if someone could measure theirs, I'd know what mine is...and we can see if its what your looking for...Rog
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Rog, I don't have a caliper on hand, but that sounds like a .15. On a ruler, mine looks like it's right at 1"
Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
hollerp89

HI SKSLIWAG DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COMPLETE CARB FOR AN AP .09/15, AP SAYS THEY DONT KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE GETTING ANY IN? THANKS, HOLLERP89
Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 AM
skaliwag

Reply to Holler89....... I just sent my last one out yesterday,, I will be getting more but closer to Christmas. Where did you try?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

I have a tee dee that has a diameter of 1.077 for the largest fin,,dont know if it is an .09 or a .15 or for certain what type it is, but it does have a throttle ring....if someone could measure theirs, I'd know what mine is...and we can see if its what your looking for...Rog
Rog, the largest fin on my .09 measures 0.929. Yours must be a .15.
Al
Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 PM
ebeneezer3

http://hobbies-n-stuff.com/
I think this hobby shop in albuquerque has a Conquest engine from an estate. Stan said many of the engines had never been used. If he hasn't sold it he might give a good price. They mail order. Ted