RCU Forums - View Single Post - which .15?
Thread: which .15?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 12:11 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: which .15?

the only .15 I ever had I bought new about 15 years ago and it was an OS I think seriesIII It was inexpensive, bushed but still what I consider high quality. Easy to break in had a rock steady idle in all attitudes and to me put out more horse power than was feasably possible. Not as much as my .40 but I felt it would fly any plane that the .40 would fly and also do it ROG off grass! I never tried it to see but it was impressive with an 8/4 I never had the nerve to put on the 7/6 I had on hand.
I like the looks of the LA .15 but it seems heavier and a little wimpy in comparison. Then there is the double priced but more powerful ball bearinged model that somehow just turns me off because the price is so high.

The Magnum .15 seems like a good motor too. It is reasonably priced but I have virtually no knowledge regarding this one.

Its times like this I wish I were in a club.

skaliwag, your right one of the reasons I am leaning so hard towards the Cox as I explained in my first post is because I always wanted one and never got around to getting one. Time is growing shorter and theu are getting rarer. So many getting scooped up by collectors that already have several on hand have no plans to do anything more than sit it in a box or on a shelf.
I have wanted to try the pipe anyway and this would be the right time and place.

What about a Sportsman, Tee Dee or Olympic with a sliding valve in the pipe?

ptulmer said:
"the Sportsman and Olympic win using the cost/cool ratio."

You said a mouthful and though I am not trying for some super-tweaked monster HP mill, The Power/weight ratio enters here as well. Here the Cox would reign supreme in its weakest stock effort. Just thinking about how an Olympic with a CF pipe on itwould look mounted in even a simple trainer type plane would be just plain rockin'! Not to mention a sleek variety!

Conquests... A real winner to be sure but I have seen only the C/L versions lately.

Olympics have been IMO plentiful on the bay but I am not sure what a fair price should be.
Sportsmans too have been plentiful but many are NIP and go quite high.

Lets not leave out the Tee Dee. This would be really less trouble to get a good throttle operating on it.

thanks for input guys, Robert