Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

testors ME 109 starting?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

testors ME 109 starting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testors ME 109 starting?

My uncle came across a testor's CL ME 109 in his attic that he guesses is over 20 yrs old. From what I understand, these aren't worth much as a collector's item so I decided to try to fly the thing. It has a .049 engine with a plastic arm coming out of the side. I'm guessing that the plastic thing is the needle valve, but it doesn't do what I think it should. I tried to turn it all the way in so I could start with about 2 1/2 turns out to see if I could get it running. The problem is that I turn and turn, but it doesn't stop. Here's the questions. First, is this plane worth anything? Should I even be trying to start it? 2nd, is the plastic arm a needle valve? Is it setup differently than what I think it is? 3rd, any idea what I should do with this arm to try to get it running? Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: testors ME 109 starting?

Is it either of these engines? What you are turning may be an extension. I would give it a tug and see if it comes off. Perhaps the extension is not seated on the needle valve enough.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30987.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	533901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27999.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	533902  
Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is in the original package, and the paint and sticker/decals haven't pealed there are collectors that will pay for it.

Otherwise don't waste your time or fuel trying to fly it. You'll note the instructions call for TEN FOOT LINES. The engine make noise to make you think you're flying a UC airplane. I had the P-51 and it did take off, once it was at the end of the lines the centrifical force was so high that all the airplane did was pitch up and down to the elevator input, it couldn't climb or dive because the out force was so high.

Just sell it
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the "arm" you're talking about is silver w/ a little arrow then it's the needle valve.
The silver thing is a plastic cap, and it might be slipping on the needle, therefore doing nothing? Just a WAG...
Maybe the needle itself is gummed up and jammed, and the cap is just slipping?

I had the Zero...which is basically what it did all they will do is go 'round in circles...not even a wing-over.

I was about 12-13 and then I got a red/white Cox "Bushmaster" Super Cub, I thought I had a stunter! (by comparison, it was )
Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: proptop
I was about 12-13 and then I got a red/white Cox "Bushmaster" Super Cub, I thought I had a stunter! (by comparison, it was )
Isn’t that the one that came with a set of skis? I bet I still have some of those engines. A friend that worked at a large department store (whose motto was ‘Satisfaction Guaranteed’) ended up with a dozen returns after the Xmas sales. The store policy for this product was to dispose of the returned merchandise locally (i.e. not worth returning). I happily participated in the ‘disposal process’ and thus acquired a shoebox of product engines. Most problems were burrs in the cylinders (due to a screwdriver being poked thru the exhaust ports) which were easily removed with a No. 11 blade. We actually flew some of those dogs, but they were NOT stunters!
Al
Old 10-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

It isn't one of those engines. I took the engine off and it seems like the fuel tank is plastic and part of the crankcase. There are no seams between it and the engine. The needle valve is at the back of the tank and is made of plastic. It will come off if I pull on it, but it doesn't seem like it would go over anything. It is solid plastic and I can't see how it would connect to anything unless it is a friction fit. If that is the case, the needle valve is probably stuck do to old fuel.

Proptop It does sound like what you are describing except that this one is white, not silver.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow since the battery on my digital camera is charging now. The plane itself is in good condition, but without the original packaging. My father in law has a P-40 that seems to be the same type of plane on display at his house. If I give up on this, it will just go on display with the P-40. I did want to fly it. I've flown all types of RC planes, but never CL. It doesn't seem to be very airworthy and probably would just fly in a straight circle without doing anything too exciting.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...the Me-109 will just go around in circles...that's it...you could whip it around faster than the engine will pull it...I know that from 1st hand experience...

Al...yeah, that's the one came with a pair of foam floats too...
When I said "stunter" I meant compared to a Testors (anything Testors )
It's all relitive I guess...

I know mine would at least do a loop![X(]

We used to fly on short lines in my brother's back yard, like maybe 20' at most, and clip tree branches w/ the wing tip...spinning round and round like a top...

We tried the skis, but the floats worked better on the snow, when we could get the engine started in the cold...

Now the Cox "Super Stunter" was pretty cool...I had the black and blue "Messerschmitt" and my buddy had the Chipmunk...