Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP Wasp .061 with RJL diesel head.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP Wasp .061 with RJL diesel head.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:21 PM
chevy43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Wasp .061 with RJL diesel head.

I'm thinking about trying it. Is this a good combo?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: AP Wasp .061 with RJL diesel head.

C43, if you can make it through a gallon of fuel before you either break the crank or the rod, then YOU DA MAN!!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps not if this is your first diesel experience. If you don't have the "diesel feel" for hand flipping and the patience to just flip the prop after just a prime (no tank) time and again to burp and short run the engine to get the feel of the right compression setting you can break the rod or the crank pin in a hurry. On the other hand, patience and tossing all your "glow" experience and expectations out the window could produce a nice running diesel for you.

If there is someone with diesel experience where you fly ask for help. If not, PM me and I'll help as best I can.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd pay $5 to see an AP hand started on GLOW fuel!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM
chevy43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can start my PAW .06 by hand but I will admit it took me a while to learn to do it.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can flip a PAW .06 you can certainly try the AP .061 conversion with some confidence. Use an 8/4 or even a 9/3 wooden prop and put it on with the blades at 10 am and 4 pm when the piston is at the top of the cylinder. Just intake prime and flip, starting with the head at minimum compression. Raise compression in small increments ( 1/16 of a full turn) until you get signs of ignition and then short bursts. When you are getting consistent flip starts with small intake primes then connect the tank and go for slightly longer runs. Don't go for higher RPMs until the engine is running consistently at the lowest possible compression with the big prop. If you're sensible about things and don't overcompress and lean it out too much trying to get glow-like RPM with a small prop, you'll have some success with the conversion. Just remember it is now a diesel and keep the prop bigger than glow use size (perhaps minimum 7/3 or 7/4) for flying. Big prop, low compression, and slightly rich make for great flying!