Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sniper DR .049 MK2 test run

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sniper DR .049 MK2 test run

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sniper DR .049 MK2 test run

No not $200 million they sold it for $1.65 BILLION!!! Crazy stuff. My exbother inlaw and a buddy started a soccer website several years ago just for fun, 6 months later they sold it for $1.5 million. Now that was wacky!

LAter,
Tim
Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 AM
D Bronk

Those pics you got there, are still ,essentially a Slot..Thats, an awful lot of duration.But I suppose ,it would work out, the same as a larger window, cut out of the disc..
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
Really interested to hear of the progress with the drum valve.

If you are having problems with the turbo plugs leaking, it may well be due to the threads of the plug fouling near where the taper seat is cut in the head.
When I made a few turbo heads I found that the O.S plugs threads extended further down the plug body than the nova rossi ones. To get them to seat I had to go in with a (7mm?)drill that was reground on my CNC t.l.a.r machine to cut a !small! square shoulder into the seat to give the O.S plugs the clearance reqired.

Hope this helps.

Stefan
Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
lildiesel

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

Just a thought... What about a " blower" like Dr. Ralph uses on his Radials? Its xxx long with Vanes and runs of the crank,
Neat idea. With a rear intake drum valve a small turbine blade compressor could be put on the far end on the drum and be set up as a blow through supercharger in the manner of the Miller 122 and 91 racing engines of the 1920s. Not too sure the gains would match or exceed the losses through added rotating mass and the pumping, though. But the idea is wonderful.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

What a GREAT morning!!!! I just got back from a little flying. I mounted the Sniper DR Mk2 onto my Mangusta( that's what I named my SWR I had at the last NC Small FlyIn). The thing just ROCKS[X(] It really flew well. I took even more elevator out of it as Raymond told me to do. Now it has to be the best flying plane I have ever had. I know that's not saying much but it's really cool to fly a self built model with an engine I made half of myself. I put in about 6 flights and the engine never skipped a beat. I was worried about fuel draw problems that Mk1 had but it was unfounded with the Mk2.

LAter,
Tim
Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
D Bronk

Right on!! I bet your ,as "Pleased as Punch"..Savour the Day..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's great, TIM! Get the plane all dialed in for racing, then do something else that I always forget to do........write down all the trim and special settings that you programmed in to get it there. Even if you have to write it in felt marker on the wing!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
lildiesel

Something of interest from the better days of Cox Industries:

[link]http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_olympic_15_rotary.htm[/link]

Great pictures and internal details of the prototype Olympic .15 with a rear rotary drum valve.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

OK ...so I changed the name of the drum valve engine to Mangusta (Mongoose). I am looking for just alittle more rpm out of the intake track so I spent yesterday working up another intake type. I got the engine finished this morning and will try to get in some testing this afternoon. So I guess this is Mangusta DR .049 Mk2.

LAter,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27739.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	543875  
Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Japanman

Nice Tim,
Man, I am impressed you make mods and then re-anodise!
You have inspired me to look again at my drum valve that I made. I think it could use a delrin drum to reduce the vibration and maybe slightly earlier open timing.
I have been working on my own disk rotor engine. I`ve been really busy here so I hava only had a few moments to spend on it, but It is now just waiting a venturi/carb and it should be a runner.