Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cub 049 better than Cox

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cub 049 better than Cox

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM
west6008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cub 049 better than Cox

I've had it with Cox! Reed valves, fuel pickup, mutilated fingers, the list goes on, so I'm thinking
back to the old Cub 049's I had back in the 60's---not near as much power, but dont need it for
my little put-put biplanes.

Questions--Would the Cub turn an 8 X 4 prop?
--Is there a current supplier of new engines?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cub 049 better than Cox

Virginia Hobby Sport sells them. They also sell the Fox FAI .049 which is pretty popular with the NosGas FF folks, and the Brodak 1/2As. All these are front rotors, no reeds.

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/index.htm
Old 10-13-2006, 05:56 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enya makes 'em, and there's a USA importer too...

http://www.richmondrc.com/shop2/ENY_USA_Retail.html

Sig claims they'll be carrying the Norvels again once they get things sorted out with Norvel.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like music to Raymond's ears.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:05 PM
lukesp

Gentlemen,

these Fox 049 FAI's, are they good ? I don't know anything about them...

Luke
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oddly enough I'm the exact opposite in my results with the Cox vs Cub wars. I've got two cubs and can't even get the darn things to run off a prime decently let alone run! ! ! !

BUt my Coxs? Generally 4 to 5 flips tops before it at least starts. If it was a finger flip start it may not be running the right WAY but at least it's running and I can stop it and flip it again.

You want a reliable no nonsense starting 049? Then find a couple of Wen Macs with the black steel starter on the front. Those things are only slightly harder to start than an electric motor! ! ! !
Old 10-13-2006, 08:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

oooooink..........[sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Excuuuuse me Vic, if you had been paying attention you would know that reedies are my new favorite engine. But if anyone asked - I have one Cub and it is probably only the strangest of flukes that it starts and runs reliably. I must have gotten an "bad" one.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Oddly enough I'm the exact opposite in my results with the Cox vs Cub wars. I've got two cubs and can't even get the darn things to run off a prime decently let alone run! ! ! !

BUt my Coxs? Generally 4 to 5 flips tops before it at least starts. If it was a finger flip start it may not be running the right WAY but at least it's running and I can stop it and flip it again.

You want a reliable no nonsense starting 049? Then find a couple of Wen Macs with the black steel starter on the front. Those things are only slightly harder to start than an electric motor! ! ! !
Believe it or not, I got one of those Wen-Macs on a 1961 Skylark (Cessna C/L). The plane is a collector's item, but I still wonder if I should try starting it!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Well, you got that right. I cleaned off my Wen Mac Cessna, and squirted a couple drops of fuel into the carb, then opened the needle valve to a rich setting. It uses a standard glow plug, surprisingly enough. Anyway, I attached the battery and after one of two flips of the prop, and ran as good as an old Buick LeSabre. In fact, the whole prime ran through and I'm sure it would have had no problem exhausting a whole tank. Impressive, to say the least!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be the right combination to answer your question. I wasn't sure if you were aware that OK Cub has a pull-start version, called an .049 Starter. It is an .049B version with a string recoil built in, just before the prop driver hub. They started making them in 1957.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 AM
burtcs

In a word no. The best an average 049 Cup will do is about 16k on 35-40% nitro. I've get an sample or two of most of them 049X, 049A, 049B, 049D,and an 049R (reed valve) and they are not up to snuff. I am getting 18K out of one of them (guess which one I'm using for early 1/2A nostalgia)

Don't run a Cub at 14k very long they vibrate like crazy, more they're ok. The glow plug is NOT a standard plug, I've got some NOS plugs, they are a 1/4x32 which as a happy co-inceidence fits the 1/4x28 well too. Use a short plug and check the clerance. Hint the head doesn't screw off, it's an interference fit. .Use a head wrench (block like clamp thingy) or take the cylinder off.

All RPM's are done with either a 5-3 Kayson or a 5-3 Black tornado. All of my Cubs start OK they just don't tear your face off.

HTH - Steve B.

Atten bmathews run those cubs in on some 60%! (they like it)
Old 10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Comparing glow plug sizes between the Wen Mac and Thunder Tiger, indeed they are different sizes. A standard glow plug is longer. I thought they were the same because my clip fit both without any problems. Is there any source of glow plugs for Wen Mac engines? Are they the same as for an O.K. Cub, or are they another one of those rare specialty items?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: west6008

I've had it with Cox! Reed valves, fuel pickup, mutilated fingers, the list goes on, so I'm thinking
back to the old Cub 049's I had back in the 60's---not near as much power, but dont need it for
my little put-put biplanes.

Questions--Would the Cub turn an 8 X 4 prop?
--Is there a current supplier of new engines?
Hmm.. I remember spending a lot more time getting my Cubs to run than my Coxes. Coxes have never given me much hassle, with the possible exception of the PeeWee .020 but they are known to be a PITA.

Ouch, 8-4 is a terrific load for any .049. IMHO your Cubs will overheat and be incredibly finicky on the needle, but perhaps with a couple of head shims and the right fuel and a good touch on the needle?. Maybe a 7-3 is a better choice if you want to swing something big a little slower. Just my $.02. Why isn't there a 6.5 to 7-2 designed for .049s on slow draggy airplanes? Oh yeah, the market size, forgot. [&o]

MJD
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Yuu

try okengines on the web. click News....I have 4 Cubs and they run great,but less power. All start in two flips.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

I don't know of any engine which has 1/4 x 28 glow plug threads. 1/4 x 32 is the standard. There were several different very short 1/2A plugs. An extra plug gasket or two will make a modern plug work. My first engine was Cub 049. I got it to run once. Friends had Cubs which started and ran fine. I have a couple of Wen-Macs my wife got at an auction. Got them broken in and they start and run steadily. Plan to use them in sport free flights some day.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Wayne C

Try virginia hobby sport. They list two varieties of O.K. Cub engines and also offer an add on pull rope starter for them. I have only ordered a very few things from them but service was excellent. The telephone was answered by a knowledgable human--something I've come to really appreciate.

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/index.htm