Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ever wish your 1/2A bird had smoke?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ever wish your 1/2A bird had smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:06 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever wish your 1/2A bird had smoke?

[X(]Sometimes I even suprise myself. Don't know why I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm in the process of evaluating a light weight simple smoke device that is even light enough to use on a 1/2A craft. Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'll throw it out there to you guys first, cause the 1/2 A dudes deserve the bestest firstest. I must admit there are a few drawbacks to the system, but I think they are easily worked around with some common sense application. The drawbacks are as follows:

1st-Some heat is involved so the device is best located outside the aircraft, preferably on a landing gear (metal wire) or a simple lite heat shielding aluminum plate.

2nd- You have some........but limited control on when the device will ignite. After some practice though an individual should get pretty good at setting the device to ignite relatively closely to when desired. Hey, if it just goes off when the plane is in the air I'm happy.

3rd-And lastly......I would not recommend using the device in an extremely dry (fire prone) area. But for most locations except for extreme drought conditions, this should be ok. (discretion is advised here as with any item that can generate heat/sparks).

Ok, here's the design. Its so simple its stupid and it can be configured in a number of different ways and locations on the plane. The two basic components are......and there are only two. A small fourth of July type fused smoke bomb...(the paper wrapped type are lighter than the hard shelled).....and a cigarette. Thats it. I've got to go home today and weigh the components, but they should be less than one ounce total I'm guessing. The set up is simple. i'll use my configuration as an example, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a myriad of combinations. the cigarette itself is lightly taped to the metal axle (no heat issue)...the smoke bomb is taped into the corner by one of the wheels at the end of the axle and cigarette. This is where practice will make perfect...setting the timer or fuse. depending on how far from the lighting end of the cigarette you insert the smoke bomb fuse will determine the time it takes to ignite. Closer to the lit end...quicker....farther...longer. Its that simple. Guesstimate the correct timing location to insert the smoke bomb fuse into the cigarette, punch a hole in the cigarette with a toothpick or other device, and insert the fuse and tape it there. In my case, I have foam wheels, so I was sure to direct the hole (exhaust) of the smoke bomb towards the center of the axle and away from any part of the AC. Your done. You can start the timer in two ways, light the cigarette with a simple match before strating your engine...(this is for those with extremely reliable quick strating motors)....or my preference...start the ac, then light the cigarette with a flame proof lighter before tossing....this will defy the prop wash blowing out your flame.

Thats the deal. Hope you guys can use this...(safely) and maybe get some shots of the little 1/2A dudes smoke writing the sky up!!!!

Regards ZZ.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Ever wish your 1/2A bird had smoke?

You been watching MacGyver again? Sounds like it should work, but in true MacGyver style, you must use bubble gum to attach everything.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:14 PM
bsindel

The AMA insurance guys are cringing as they read your idea. I think the safety code specifically
bars the use of any incdiary devices on model airplanes in most cases.

Bill S.(the other Bill)
Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bsindel

The AMA insurance guys are cringing as they read your idea. I think the safety code specifically
bars the use of any incdiary devices on model airplanes in most cases.

Bill S.(the other Bill)
Nah, the safety code just tells you not to LAUNCH any incendiary devices from your r/c planes. Heck, there's a guy in my clube who has an Estes Centurion rocket-powered glider. It uses a "D" size motor with no ejection charge to get airborne.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Bill, it's OK as long as it's attached securely and it's a smoke device. You can buy the same thing from Tower. (it's actually spelled out in the safety code)

Looking at the code, the cigarette may actually be the only part not allowed. An Estes igniter on a switch would probably be more reliable, too.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

YOU DIDN'T ASK THE AMA IF THEY LIKED IT BEFORE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT?!?!?!

I can imagine that an AMA something or other would have a heart attack over it. It sounds really cool- can't wait to see it work.

-All in good humor, Steve
Old 10-19-2006, 05:08 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In its simplicity I like the idea of using the cigarette as a timer/ignitor for the smoke generator.

In practicality I think it stinks. Not all fliers are smokers. That would make it mandetory for the non smoker to buy or otherwise procure something they did not wish to have in the first place.
Also trying to light the cigarette with the engine running takes away from the obvious blade safety issue.. I can see it now. You have the motor running, radio on, ready to launch but for the cigarette being lit. THere is a light wind blowing causing some manipulation between the plane and its attitude ( how you hold it and at which angle) and the lighter and of course its attitude and then the wind shifts and you turn around the other way, flip the plane just so and next thing you know you have gotten something in that prop that was precious to you and had no buisness in the prop arc, having forgotten what was happening on that end of the plane because you were busy "lighting the candle" as it were.
Just one scenario. There are others.

I say stick with a switchable ignitor or do without.

Robet
Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Wayne C

Just saok a rag in diesel, wrap it around the plane, light it, take off and enjoy.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First off, SIG and others sell DT fuse. It burns at a set rate, so you don't need to use something as dangerous as a cigarette which can blow apart and start a nice fire. I think they even sell snuffer tubes.

Smoke bombs on the other hand are very unreliable and just as likely to give you a foot long flame, very short smoke time or in extreme, just plug and blow. I had a large cartridge type smoke bomb that i used to hang beneath my CL plane detonate once, left a crater it did. It wasn't wired to blow or anything, just right before it started to smoke the exhaust plugged and the resulting preasure did it's thing.

Here's a link to a smoke system that will probably fit your bill http://www.regin.com/rcsmoke.html if'n you want smoke. May not be as cheap as your original idea, but they work, they are safe and they are reliable. At least the ones I've seen work, haven't bought any myself, I'm cheap and if I really need smoke, I just set the engine rich.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Wayne is a genius ! No engineering studies or anything
involved with your idea and the results probably would
be similar to the original. KISS principal at it's best.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

You guys R awesome. I never fail to get at least a few good chuckles whenever I read through threads like this. Thanks for the info by the way on the other smoke options. I wasn't aware of them so will check them out. I also love the diesel soaked rag, and setting the engine rich suggestions.....classic. I did get a chance to try the experiment, and it was.....well......ok at best. It worked 2 out of three attempts. I dont smoke so I bought cigs for the test. Yes, this was definately McGiver inspired...I know. So....long story short, the plane was able to carry the rig, that was good. Once the cigarette was going it usually stayed lit due to prop blast, this was good...(though once it did go out but I think this was due to castor spraying on it from the engine.) Once in flight I had to retrim plane a little from normal due to wierd smoke thingy hanging on undercarriage....acceptable. In flight when smoke initiates you have a decent stream behind the ac which lasts for about 3 to 5 seconds at most before flame out occurs. Hmmmmm. And there's the rub. See the first time it was cool, cause I was excited to see it actually work. But every time after that it became signifigantly less cool...(if you're following my highly scientific jargon here).....and I think its due to the fact that you begin to realize all the trouble it takes setting up the gizmo every time to get 3 seconds of good smoke. Now if it was 60 seconds or something....you'd be talkin....but 3-5 secs isn't great. So thats where I'm leaving this one!

ZZ.

Now on the other hand, if somebody could rig up a laser battle system for our ac where when you shoot the other guys ac repeatedly with your own the smoke bomb fires, it would definately be worth it, cause it really does look like somebody shooting you down. Now you're talking some cool stuff! This would revolutionize rc combat! You get smoked....you have to land till the next round....and no stupid streamers. Probably would be too heavy for 1/2A though.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
hogflyer

I believe there is a system out there that when you hit the opponents plane, his engine cuts out for something like 10 seconds - they're EP, but don't remember the manufacturer or model. Some park flyer plane.

Hogflyer
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

I believe there is a system out there that when you hit the opponents plane, his engine cuts out for something like 10 seconds - they're EP, but don't remember the manufacturer or model. Some park flyer plane.

Hogflyer
its a part of the parkzone firebird series. it attacked to something called an x-port, operated by the 3rd channel on the radio. Kinda fun actually.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Parkzone has that X-port on their Stryker delta, and their P-51 and FW-190 also. I'm tempted to buy the 'stang and the butcher bird just so I can hand off a transmitter to one of my friends and have a scale dogfight with tangible "hits". My wife would KILL me if I dropped that much MORE money into the hobby anytime soon though......
Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

Parkzone has that X-port on their Stryker delta, and their P-51 and FW-190 also. I'm tempted to buy the 'stang and the butcher bird just so I can hand off a transmitter to one of my friends and have a scale dogfight with tangible "hits". My wife would KILL me if I dropped that much MORE money into the hobby anytime soon though......
ya, those planes are actually fairly expensive.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A big DITTO on the use of the DT fuse. Far more control and you can fit the butt end into a simple snuffer tube. And with the price of ciggy's these days it's a far cheaper alternative. It would be a simple matter to use a large pin or small darning needle to open up a little hole through the fuse to insert the smoke bomb fuse. The Sig DT fuse is about 3/16 in diameter. It's the same as old sash cord but chemically treated.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:57 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Send me a SASE and I'll return a foot of DT fuse to you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44245.gif
Views:	8
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	544600  
Old 10-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

"Smoke" can be faked, try using baby powder ( or baking powder, etc)in a container, attached to a push-rod device to allow it to escape. This can work well, and is a base that has many devices with plans in the old model mags.