Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

TJ's not lost, just got a new bird.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

TJ's not lost, just got a new bird.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
tangerine-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJ's not lost, just got a new bird.

I've been squirreled away in my workshop, hammering and duct taping late into the night and lovingly hand crafted a Jr. Falcon. Yeah, I know it isn't a funky WWI design or Pioneer aircraft, but the plans were free, the wood was lying around, so why not? Besides, I wanted something fun for my .049 Texaco. 98% done, I just have to clean up some trim and give it a final inspection. First flight should be in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11311.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	546795  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: TJ's not lost, just got a new bird.

Looks good, one of my favorits....

Rick
Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, that looks good, could you give me a link to the plans? it may be a good project for me to tinker with over christmas...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
tangerine-jack

ORIGINAL: Wild Foamy

hey, that looks good, could you give me a link to the plans? it may be a good project for me to tinker with over christmas...

Here UB. It is an easy building airplane, no surprizes. I built the plane straight off the plans, I eliminated the landing gear and glued the tail feathers in place (I don't understand the reason for rubber banding them on). Otherwise mine is a cookie cutter Jr. Falcon.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Sneasle

nice. will a Jr F fly on an SS?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: Sneasle

nice. will a Jr F fly on an SS?
It should fly very well on a SS. Mine, which was built from a kit back in the mid 70's, flew fine with a product engine of the day, (one from a not-so-famous Cox Bush Master). I did fly it rudder only, as opposed to the current 'point and shoot', i.e. it was not over powered.
BTW, I would urge anyone not familiar with single channel to give this combo a try. It will not only be lots of fun, but you will learn a lot about what makes an airplane actually FLY.
al
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

That looks really nice. The Texaco sounds like a great match. BTW, I ran my Texaco a few days ago and got around 12,000 with a MA black 7x3. That seems like a good prop for that engine.

Al, I had a Cox C/L plane in the early '70s that was a red high wing, cessna-like model that came with a set of foam floats. Was that The Bush Master? I wish I still had it, The floats would have been great on a Jr. Falcon.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job. The Jr. Falcon, Falcon 56 and Senior Falcon are some of my all time favourite planes.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: rainedave

That looks really nice. The Texaco sounds like a great match. BTW, I ran my Texaco a few days ago and got around 12,000 with a MA black 7x3. That seems like a good prop for that engine.

Al, I had a Cox C/L plane in the early '70s that was a red high wing, cessna-like model that came with a set of foam floats. Was that The Bush Master? I wish I still had it, The floats would have been great on a Jr. Falcon.
Yep, that's the one.
al
Old 10-25-2006, 01:28 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

TJ,

Nice job on a good looking plane, who doesn't love the Falcon series. I have to build one some day. Did you build it as a single or two channel version?

Darren
Old 10-25-2006, 05:12 AM
tangerine-jack

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I built this as a two channel version using HS-55 micro servos, Futaba R114-F micro reciever and a 500 ma NI-Cad battery pack. Using this combo with the Texaco up front the plane balances perfectly with no additional weight. I expect to be able to give it it's first test flight this coming Sunday, but from what I've read and heard about the Jr. Falcon, it ought to fly "off the board" with little problem. I have plenty of room in the nose that if it needs more weight then I can add a larger battery pack.

Ya know, sometimes the simple, trouble free and easy to fly planes are the most fun. Band on the wing and go flying, I like that.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice one TJ
Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
tangerine-jack

I'm ready for my first test flight. Any particulars of this airplane I should look at prior to the flight? Things like CG, incidence etc would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Tangerine,

Nice job on the Jr. Falcon.... plus, you just answered your own question... the rubber banded stab served two purposes. The main one was to adjust the incidence of the stab for single channel flight. I used to keep all difference thicknesses of balsa wood in my flight box to adjust the plane for the wind.... Single channel flight was basically free flight with you kicking the rudder around to keep it in the same general area.... yep, I flew both escapement and servo with a pushbutton.. and by changing the stab incidence you can make the plane climb gently or with much authority.... you can actually give it too much and it will loop after being hand launched (not funny)....
The second reason was what happens when the Falcon hits the dirt.....sort of like pop off surfaces...didn't really work too well.

Since you have elevator control, your first flight will be no where near as dangerous...Have fun, it is a GREAT flying plane.

Deadstik Dan
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
tangerine-jack

Right, that is kinda what I thought it was for. I've trimmed the plane out using ancient Chinese free flight techniques, in other words, giving it lots of hand tosses with engine off until I got a decent glide path. It seems that a 0-0 wing/stab incidence is best. I adjusted with nose weight and had to shift the wing a little to the right (my fault not the plane) and all seems well.

If I didn't have to work so much this week I would go to my flying field and try a power up flight, but that might just have to wait until Monday.