Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1913 Eastbourne Build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1913 Eastbourne Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1913 Eastbourne Build

Well the Nordstrom account is a pain at the moment consuming most of my time so we'll see how much of this build I can get done during the holiday season.

I have a bit of extra electrical plane parts laying around and have had the itch to build from scratch a pre-WWI aircraft for a couple years now. I had almost given up hope and started the plans for another machine until one day while searching the net I came across a kit sold by Hobby Lobby called the 1913 Eastbourne.

I purchased the 1913 Eastbourne kit from Hobby Lobby since it was very unique in my opinion, at least differant than the other early 20th century plane kits on the market today.

When I received the kit it was nothing but bits of wood and a couple sheets of plans in a box. The directions even tell you how to make the motor cylinders from the included cardboard tubes and your own string. Talk about a builders dream. How often do we see that today? This plane will be mine from the ground up!

The kit itself arrived in very good order from Hobby Lobby. The folks there pack a plane well for shipment. The wood included is actually very good for todays standards.

Untill I have time to get some photo's taken and work done on the Eastbourne here is a stock picture of the finished product.

Cheers,

Alex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79816.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	552222  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1913 Eastbourne Build

That would make a cool looking ultralight with about a 400 cc engine, [scaled up of course]. The down side would be the pilots' line of sight while taking off and flyng.
What do you plan on powering yours' with?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blackbourne kit is usually paired with a speed 400 motor and has 300+ square inches. If anybody has an unemployed Texaco .049 it would probably provide very realistic flying with two channels. Of course, I've got a feeling almost everbody here would want a Norvel .074 up front.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

I'm hoping to get some work started on the Eastbourne this weekend.

You know it would be cool to build an ultralight similar to this... or how about a small replica bi-plane ultralight? Don't think that's gonna fly with the other half though.

Anyway...

As for the motor I'm not sure what will be going in her yet. I've got a couple park inrunners and spare gearboxes and also a few outrunners of various sizes and makes. I do have an idea of attaching the cylinders to a smaller outrunner and having them spin with the casing.

She'll receive the usual HS55's and I'll probably use 3 cell 1320 packs to keep her light.

This will be my first time using fabric and dope since I built my last Gillows kit as a kid circa 1980.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 AM
burtcs

SquirlNutZipper:

This really needs a build thread. Carry on the good work...

thanks - Steve B.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these kits squirreled away under my bench. I bought it with the intention of putting a small deisel on the front. Most likely a PAW 55.
What would be really neat? Real wing warping.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an "Eastboune" thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3096561