Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Postal Plane Project

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Postal Plane Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Postal Plane Project

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: efish

Hi, I've been off 1/2A for a while, but just came across this post. It seems like a great idea and if the offer's still open, I'm game.

Would be happy to donate a servo or two to the plane to be held as spare in case the gears on the original ones strip out too.

I second the choice of the Wasp engine - for the price, I've had more than good service from mine.
New slogans: "AP Wasp! Feel the sting!!!"
"The old new Norvel."
"So what, it's cheaper."
"Ya know, it kinda sounds like a PO'ed bee."
"It's better than nothing, which is your only other choice!"

Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a great idea!

we could keep a bit of paper inside and everyone write down a note, a date and maybe a photo...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Wild Foamy

youve put ideas into my head now...

i was thinking of starting one in the UK and writinga blog about it on the internet... then maybe i will auction it off and donate the money to charity... or fly it at charity events... something to give back to the country...

anyway, i would suggest a high wing simple thing such as a stick but a bit more..... complex, not so complex that a beginner could not rebuild it, but complex enough to be a graceful design with the stability and noob-friendlyness of a high wing

thats just my 2 pence...
Old 11-20-2006, 06:26 PM
weathervane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is considered a 1/2a plane, but I have a set of plans for a Mini Bell that I can donate. It is vary small and looks like a cool little plane.

Andrew
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 AM
small_rcer

So in a post a page or so back dF said he was cutting wood and wanted to test fly (crash??) on week-end. That week-end has come and gone. Has it been moved up to this week-end?? Or can we see some pics of the finished plane in the air?

Where can we see full size plans? Looks like a quick easy build and I want a winter flyer. The down curve in the fuse looks like it would land nicely in the snow!! ( or sand or ?? )

Jim H
Old 11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
dieFluggeister

Hey Small, the last couple days my wife conscripted me to do a large 'honeydew' project in prep for Thanksgiving. She just didnt see the priorities the same way I did. Oh well. However, after lunch today I have taken the day off to get the prototype finished and up in the air. From there I can put the finishing touches to the plan and the travel plane can be built.

It would be great if all those who have offered an engine or a servo etc could add their piece to the puzzle, and would really make it a community plane. Vicman even offered to cover it! So, I would be happy to build it (unless someone else wants to), I'll send it to Vic to be covered. Maybe the Carolina Crew guys can get it outfitted and flown to begin its trip? I also might need someone's help with getting a webpage suitable with a map and maybe a log book that the pilots can log on with a password and write, maybe post a photo. I have a website but I dont have the skills to design a page like that. If anyone could help, please PM me.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

DF,
I will be out of the country from Thanksgiving through Dec. 3rd on a medical mission trip, but will be happy to add my Norvel/ TD/Reedie ( your choice ) and props if you want to send it up to VA after the Carolina guys get done covering or adding their stuff. Let me know what you need.
Dale
Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Wild Foamy

why not try a stick-bipe? suresly its a lot simpler and more portable?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 AM
DanCarey

Whatever it is it will need foam wings to save it getting broken in transit. And yes some sort of stick for simplicity.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I know of at least two guys that will be surprised. You guys oughta have seen dF suitcase racer. Imagine a 7.?oz .049 pod and boom racer with detachable v-tail and wings. All slid neatly into a fitted case that is about the right size to carry a transmitter. (did I mention that it hauled the mail better than anything else I saw that day with a SureStart on it?)
Old 11-22-2006, 09:54 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree PT it was way cool how he had it packaged in there.
I was thinking about having a box filled with blo-foam (like great stuff from the can) that would hold the plane in a form fitted mold for shipping. I am still on pretty decent terms with the place I used to work at and would think they would let me make a box for the project.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Wild Foamy

Lets make it a sticky so we can all keep a watch on it!

Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:44 PM
DanCarey

The one i am going to start next year in england will be some sort of stick and all flyers will sign it after they have flown it. Maybe auction it for children in need next year. Still thinking of ideas though.
But you are right my english friend STICKY
Old 11-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Where are we at with this? Lot's of opinions on what is best but should not the man who offered to lend the plane have the final say? - John.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Wild Foamy

STICK BIPE!

bipeflyer has some great plans for a stick biplane! its TT 07 powered, so its cheap, small and pretty nimble!, and i also thought of sending, signing then selling or flying it around the country at charity events (great minds think alike )
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
dieFluggeister

Sorry about the long time for the update but T-giving and the Wx has made it next to impossible to get the prototype in the air. However, I'm eager to say this seems like a very adequate plane for the job.

Put it through the ringer today and the characteristics are real nice. Its super easy to fly but will please the sport flyer too. It did come in a little heavier than I would have liked at 13.5oz but hand launches climbed right out thanks to the generous lift. It was surprisingly quick too. As for a larger engine... I dunno... It could handle the extra weight but unless you want spectacular verticals the 049 does a nice job. I'll post a writeup in another thread, but I think you'll be pleased with this one.

I wanna keep my prototype. I'll build a 'nice' one and send it out to be outfitted and covered, and thus start it's journey. I know a lot of you guys offered parts etc. If you are still up for it, give me a PM and lets talk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73915.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	569944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49811.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	569945  
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM
vicman

The ol rubber bands worked pretty good didn't they
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
dieFluggeister

They absorb a lot of energy in a mishap! Not that I would know....[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 12-01-2006, 02:49 PM
hfenn

Fantastic job DF! Let me know what you need, maybe servos, SureStart, and or a GWS Rx (but it will be JR/Airtronics compatible, also any TX that can switch shift).
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
vicman

Hey Hollis,
I will deliver the plane to you for servos. I was down there on Monday and was thinking it would be nice to have lunch with you.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:20 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: vicman

Hey Hollis,
I will deliver the plane to you for servos. I was down there on Monday and was thinking it would be nice to have lunch with you.
Let me know a day or so ahead next time and we'll get together.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM
small_rcer

Great looking little rig. Good proportions. Everyone could use a simple easy to fly plane like that. I wish I could select colours and cover as well as that is done. I see one brass tube coming out of the firewall. Is there another on the other side or do you disconnect the feed line to engine to fill?

When you start the thread detailing the build we will all want to have a good look. Are you going to have / post finished plans?? There are a couple of electric only guys I want to let fly a spare one of these after I build one for me.

Again great looking.

Jim H

Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM
dieFluggeister

The brass tube is connected to the vent/overflow on the tank and is actually filled from the engine fuel line. It's no coincidence that an 061 muffler pressure line could hook right up!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
jerusha

how is the plane coming dieFluggeister. is it almost done?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM
vicman

The game is in play[8D]
The project is undrway in the top secret hidden labs of the Carolina Crew.
Violators will get shot and maybe eaten.[sm=47_47.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.