Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox .049 Black Widow, extra tank installation

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049 Black Widow, extra tank installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Dany boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .049 Black Widow, extra tank installation

Hi,

I just got my 30 years old Cox .049 Black Widow from my archives and plan to mount it on a small jet type plane

Anybody can help me with extra tank installation? I plan to use Sullivan 2 onces tank but how to install the tubing?

2 1/2 minutes flying is not long enough for me...

Which pipe goes to which tube etc,

Anybody having picture or drawing??.

Thanks a lot guys !

Old 11-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox .049 Black Widow, extra tank installation

What you need to do is take the backplate off and look inside. Drill a hole in the supplied tank so you can run a fuel line to the fuel nipple on the back plate. It won't work well to do anything else.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Black Widows with external tanks very successfully.

Buy or scrounge a product engine like the Sure Start. Remove the tank and all those parts from the crankcase back, from the Black Widow. Throw the product back from the sure start / product engine on the crankcase of the Black Widow. Makes a sort of Killer Bee. Have done that numerous times with pretty good results. You have piston/cylinder combination with likely a better fit and compression. The bypass ports may be the same or bigger on the Black Widow than on a simple Sure Start.

Now get a Hayes 2 oz. or Sullivan Flex Slant Tank 2 oz and have 15-18 minutes of fun on each flight.

Years ago I bought 6-10 product backs and overhaul kits and suggested to the folks at Cox that I was making pretty good engines with big tanks using Black Widows and product backs. Have saved product backs from everything since then for use on the better engines. I have put a product backs on the QRCs very successfully. Quiet and easy to put on a big tank. Have gotten 18+ minute run times repeatedly on a Sullivan 2 oz tank. Great fun. Can fly longer than most electrics with full throttle and modest noise.

So to start scrounge a product back of any vintage, and try that. Then if you have more than 1 BW order Sure Starts for the product backs and the spare plugs.

Just my suggestion. Not gospel by any means.

Jim H

Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: small_rcer
Now get a Hayes 2 oz. or Sullivan Flex Slant Tank 2 oz and have 15-18 minutes of fun on each flight.
Jim H
Eighteen minutes is a hell of a long time on a non throttled engine. Don't fill your tank full on your initial runs and be sure your RX/TX bateries are charged for that "one last flight". I think the famous Dickybird film canister tank would be a better option.

Darren
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam
Eighteen minutes is a hell of a long time on a non throttled engine. Don't fill your tank full on your initial runs and be sure your RX/TX bateries are charged for that "one last flight". I think the famous Dickybird film canister tank would be a better option.

Darren
I agree! One ounce of fuel is gobs for an .049! Love those film can tanks too - the Sullivan tanks weigh a ton for small models. Or make your own from a small bottle such as Visine or the like.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

With my Medallion .09 I would use a 2 ounce tank at it flew (wide open) for about 7 minutes. To hook up a tank as a aux just go from the aux. tank out to the tank in on the Black Widow. The the other inlet ( probably the one on the tank bottom) on the Black Widow tank is used to fill both tanks and then plug it. Now you have the main motor tank drawing from the aux. tank. The vent for the whole system is the aux. tank vent. No custom motor work, just use the original needle etc. I used this set up in a old Gentle Lady with a babybee on the nose and it would go for like 9 minutes before the tank went dry. Got me way up in the sky and then I would just lay on the grass and glide around for like 25 minutes.. yeh, kind of boring after awhile.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I seriously doubt that you'll get a good run for the whole two ounces. It'll run lean by about the 1/2 way point.

One ounce or the film canister tank is probably the best option.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

I can only say what my experience was... I know I got more than 3/4 of the fuel out of the tanks. Besides with a 2 ounce plus the Black Widow stock tank he should get at least close to the 2 ounce and that should be what, 5 - 7 minutes? Who cares if the tank is dry or not when the motor quits.