Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Interest In 1/2a Spinners and such?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Interest In 1/2a Spinners and such?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:08 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest In 1/2a Spinners and such?

Just checking the waters and seeing what kind of interest there would be in a production of plastic 1/2a size spinners.

Let me know what colors and size you would use the most, 3/4", 1", 1&1/4" etc...

Also, if there are any other 1/2a specific items you find hard to locate or would like to see let me know about them as well.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Interest In 1/2a Spinners and such?

This my be just too simple, but how about a sleeve that would be the id size of the prop screw, with a 1/4inch od?

I just bought a PAW diesel, the crank is small, but it swings an 8x4 props which have larger holes.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM
ebeneezer3

If you can find them, Cox 8/4's have the right shaft size Ted
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SquirlNutZipper

Just checking the waters and seeing what kind of interest there would be in a production of plastic 1/2a size spinners.

Let me know what colors and size you would use the most, 3/4", 1", 1&1/4" etc...

Also, if there are any other 1/2a specific items you find hard to locate or would like to see let me know about them as well.

Thanks,

Alex
To be honest, I would never mount a plastic spinner on a small high rpm engine, primarily because of too many bad experiences with balance. Distortion at high rpm concerns me too, although I understand that with smaller diameters comes greater rigidity and lower centrifugal forces. Still, I use only metal spinners when I do use a spinner.

Lightweight metal spinners would turn my crank however. The sizes you mention are good, although steps of 1/8" might be more appropo in these smaller sizes corresponding to the 1/4" steps in larger sizes.

Hey, you asked, so...

And sets of brass or Al bushings that fit the various APC 1/2A prop hubs snugly and sized for 1/2A prop screws would be nice, then I wouldn't have to make them myself.

MJD
Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Alex, unless you've got a way to do short runs really cheap, or can make them glow/electric compatible, you will lose your butt. I hate to say that because it would be nice to have a few for myself.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,

There is a great need for smaller spinners. I would love to have some to fit my .049 TD's on the scale airplanes I build. If you can do it I will buy a bunch.

I need to do some checking on the sizes.

Brian
Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
SquirlNutZipper

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Alex, unless you've got a way to do short runs really cheap, or can make them glow/electric compatible, you will lose your butt. I hate to say that because it would be nice to have a few for myself.
You're very right. Even using someone's equipment the molds alone will take a sizeable investment but I've got some ideas
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
rainedave

Or, how about a threaded insert that is stepped down to fit in the front of Coxes and Norvels on one end and 1/4" -28 on the other end to fit in these prop nuts:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB738/101.0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83882.gif
Views:	7
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	569023  
Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
skaliwag

Looks like a job for a threading machine..... How come Cox didn't think of this?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
scudrunner77

I was looking for a plastic 1" spinner a while back...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
rainedave

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to make those inserts. The 1/4"-28 end could be just the right length to bottom out in the prop nut and then it would simple go on the engine exactly like the AP Wasp spinner nut works.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I've been making to use APC props with my Norvels.

Name:	Ro41664.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	569074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78463.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	569075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29430.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	569076  
Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Bipe Flyer

That's what I think would sell. It's small, a pain to make, so there might be a market for them.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Here's what I've been making to use APC props with my Norvels.
When I bush those props, I make the bushing to fit only the rear molded recess and ignore the through hole which is often way out of whack.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Bipe Flyer

Only the rear shoulder is a tight fit, so it is aligned by the moulded recess and not the smaller drilled hole.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
small_rcer

A long time ago when Cox made C/L planes they had a wonderful selection of spinners. Although you cannot see it there is a white spinner in this picture. What you can see is a 5-40 stud and a hollow prop retaining hub or prop nut, and a black spinner. The prop nut / hub outside front edge has a ridge on it. The spinners have a matching hollow tube molded on the inside of the spinner. The prop is held on by the hollow prop nut. The spinner is forced over and snaps on the ridge. There were at least 2 separate sizes of spinner. I have several white of the larger size and one black of the smaller size. The black is what you see here.

So we need to ask Cox where are the molds for numerous plastic items.

That list includes but is not limited to

TD 049, 010, and 020 Carb bodies. TD 010 and 020 plastic backplates. Prop molds in sizes 5x3, 5x4, 6x3, 6x4, 7x3 and the small ones for the TD 010 and 020. Spinners of all sizes.

Now each of these molds probably exists somewhere at a plastic molders warehouse in California or somewhere. They are not light to move. They are just scrap metal unless someone chooses to use them to mold product. I would think there value would be about equal to the freight cost to move them. In other words they should be free, if they still exist. I am willing to look at having them shipped here, where I can have them fitted to an injection molding machine.

The idea would be that each year I would produce short runs of items to keep a supply on hand. I would offer them to Cox to distribute/sell if they were interested otherwise I would sell to hobby shops and on the web. If the price was right there would have to be margin for resellers to be sure that the distribution would be there. This would not be a money maker, but it would assure the long term viability of the existing engines out there.

So, does anyone have a contact with Mr. Fritz ( spelling? ) of Cox or an idea where the molds might be? When I last heard from Cox many years ago while they were still in California, Mr. Selzer (spelling again?? ) indicated the prop molds were at a molding house somewhere in California.

It is highly unlikely that Cox would run a batch of anything at an outside molders at this point. The setup charges would be obscene. The idea is I would get a used injection molding machine and adapt the molds to suit. Then using the hard gray plastic, run a batch of props of various sizes. Then clean the machine and run black nylon for everything else. Just change the molds and leave the auger and barrel with the same resin and shoot the next parts and repeat with the estimate count of each part needed. In some cases a run of 1000 would be a lifetime supply. I would think that items such as Carb Bodies would be very urgently needed at this point for all engine sizes. Of course a ready supply of Cox grays of 5x3, 5x4 etc would be welcomed by many on a daily basis. I would love to have 6 or so gray 5x3 right now! And would use more as soon as I crashed these.

So whadda ya thinK?? Dreaming, fantasy, or possible??

Regards

Jim H

Name:	Fd92354.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	569583  
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
hogflyer

small_rcer,

You may want to get a hold of (probably best to call him) Bob Davis at Davis Diesel. He knows a lot about the history of Cox and where some of the Cox tooling went to, and it sounded like a lot of it was in need of rebuilding when it was sold off.

Hogflyer
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
SquirlNutZipper

ORIGINAL: small_rcer

A long time ago when Cox made C/L planes they had a wonderful selection of spinners. Although you cannot see it there is a white spinner in this picture. What you can see is a 5-40 stud and a hollow prop retaining hub or prop nut, and a black spinner. The prop nut / hub outside front edge has a ridge on it. The spinners have a matching hollow tube molded on the inside of the spinner. The prop is held on by the hollow prop nut. The spinner is forced over and snaps on the ridge. There were at least 2 separate sizes of spinner. I have several white of the larger size and one black of the smaller size. The black is what you see here.

So we need to ask Cox where are the molds for numerous plastic items.

That list includes but is not limited to

TD 049, 010, and 020 Carb bodies. TD 010 and 020 plastic backplates. Prop molds in sizes 5x3, 5x4, 6x3, 6x4, 7x3 and the small ones for the TD 010 and 020. Spinners of all sizes.

Now each of these molds probably exists somewhere at a plastic molders warehouse in California or somewhere. They are not light to move. They are just scrap metal unless someone chooses to use them to mold product. I would think there value would be about equal to the freight cost to move them. In other words they should be free, if they still exist. I am willing to look at having them shipped here, where I can have them fitted to an injection molding machine.

The idea would be that each year I would produce short runs of items to keep a supply on hand. I would offer them to Cox to distribute/sell if they were interested otherwise I would sell to hobby shops and on the web. If the price was right there would have to be margin for resellers to be sure that the distribution would be there. This would not be a money maker, but it would assure the long term viability of the existing engines out there.

So, does anyone have a contact with Mr. Fritz ( spelling? ) of Cox or an idea where the molds might be? When I last heard from Cox many years ago while they were still in California, Mr. Selzer (spelling again?? ) indicated the prop molds were at a molding house somewhere in California.

It is highly unlikely that Cox would run a batch of anything at an outside molders at this point. The setup charges would be obscene. The idea is I would get a used injection molding machine and adapt the molds to suit. Then using the hard gray plastic, run a batch of props of various sizes. Then clean the machine and run black nylon for everything else. Just change the molds and leave the auger and barrel with the same resin and shoot the next parts and repeat with the estimate count of each part needed. In some cases a run of 1000 would be a lifetime supply. I would think that items such as Carb Bodies would be very urgently needed at this point for all engine sizes. Of course a ready supply of Cox grays of 5x3, 5x4 etc would be welcomed by many on a daily basis. I would love to have 6 or so gray 5x3 right now! And would use more as soon as I crashed these.

So whadda ya thinK?? Dreaming, fantasy, or possible??

Regards

Jim H

Jim,

That's a great place to start but they may have rights to the exact parts created by the molds so may be a bit to get 'em to release them even if they're still intact and usable. I had totally forgotten about Cox spinners...

Alex
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Bipe Flyer

COX also made rubber spinners like the red one in the attached photo. Does anyone recognize he 1" white spinner? Someone gave it to me. I think it might be an old Top Flite.

Name:	Om32150.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	570259  
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM
digital_trucker

Look like an old Ace spinner to moi.