Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Planes by Dick Erickson

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Planes by Dick Erickson

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:19 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Planes by Dick Erickson

I am not really familiar with this man or his planes although I do have the article and plan for the Delta Shrike and it looks wonderful.

This is an excerpt of the text under the pictures in this scan from a corner of one of Ace's 2 page ads:
"Above photos are a part of a series built by Dick Erickson of Mundelein, Ill. All but one is a foam wing job--and ALL are R-O ships.
Aileron-only Delta Shrike, T-Foam, Foamdecker, Bi-Foam, Cana-Foam (a canard). Others are on the drawing board or in the works."

Does anyone here have any info or links or scans to these works and the unnamed which were "on the drawing board or in the work"?

I really liked the Delta Shrike but I have a special place in my heart for the planes that were designed specifically to use the Ace Foam wing panels. There were lots of them but obviously I do not know of all of them.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68184.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	577516  
Old 12-17-2006, 10:45 AM
groundsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planes by Dick Erickson

Buld Light
This brings back memories of a dear friend. Dick tought me to fly Rudder Only back in 1973. Him and I with a few other poeple started the Hemet Model Masters club in Hemet California. He also owned a hobby shop called The Hobby Hut in Hemet. Dick loved to design and build 1/2 A airplanes Two of his designs were in RCM. Useing the ace foam wing March 1976 (Rollin' Foam) and a .020 Neuport bipe October 1976 (Peppe La Peuw). These plans are available through RCM plans sevice. I saw him fly his Bi Foam many times. It was a fantastic TD .049 R.O. plane, but never got a set of plans. I don't know much about his earlier designs. I have a pencil drawing-plans of his last design. A .049 size stand off scale Hyper Bipe called Two Bi Four. We built one each for the Macs show in Anaheim Ca. The plane was never test flown. I still have the plane. I plan on building a new one and test flying it this year. I will make the plans available to anyone that wants one after that. Dick passed away in 1978.

I would be interested in a copy of the article and plans of the Delta Shrike. I will be happy to pay for them.

Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 04:07 PM
build light

Thank you for the reply, Steve.
I had a feeling he might be gone, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. What a guy to have for a friend!

It would be nice to have a copy of the Two Bi Four drawings! sounds really nice for I do like the Hyperbipe.

The Rollin Foam and Peppe Le Peuw I have low grade scans of fro the RCM I did not know they were his. I remember the Peppe the best because in the build article there were 2 different skunk drawings. one was the Warner Bro.s character drawing and the other distinctivly unknown. I am pretty sure that Pepe was on the plan and the other adorned the article.
Anyway, I would like to see a pic of your original Two Bi Four before you get the other started. It may have incurred some "hangar rash" over the years but that wouldn't matter. I still would like to see it. And too the new one once built!

The Delta Shrike article is in Feb. 1975 Sport Modeler. You probably remember this short lived publication was a seperate publication of American Aircraft Modeler. Therefore the plan should be available from the AMA Library.
My copy is pretty clean exept the cover is barely hanging on and the whole magazine seemes to have been wet or moist at one time as it has a uniform wrinkling on every page. Good news is no pages are "glued together" as oft times a wet magazine will do once dry.

I will be glad to scan and send you what I have at no charge. I would scan them at a decent dpi so the files will be pretty large. I hope you have faster than dialup connection.

I would gladly entertain more stories and pictures of his planes, plans and of course yours as well.!

Robert
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 AM
groundsman

Correction on the name: II-Bi-IV

Wing span= 27.5
Cord=4.25
Wing area=195.5 sq. in.
Length=23.5
weight=14 oz. no radio-engine. It does have a 2 oz. Sulivan fuel tank in it.

Name:	Ur52291.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	580026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70084.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	580027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43334.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	580028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11702.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	580029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24800.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	580030  
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
build light

Wow! Nice!
Quite a lot of trim detail for a half A plane!
A really nice touch is the tinted (and possibly molded?) windscreen.

I Scanned my article and plan for the Delta Shrike and it came out unsatisfactory. The plan itself is mostly to blame. The problem is caused by the water damage to the pages. Many of the straight plan lines are wavy! Only a little bit, but enough to easily notice. Add to this the fact that the plan was split over two pages and in the center there is a gap the scanner cannot see( I was pressing down to try to help this during the scan) as well as the lines don't match up.
I would have to take the magazine apart and tape the two parts together so that there would be no gap or mismatch. The wavyness I am afraid would still remain.

No problem as I mentioned before the plan should be available from AMA services.
My scans are far to large to upload here. I just noticed I must have gotten some ink on my scanner screen I need to get off.
Note to self: Must let ink dry before slapping it in the scanner!

Robert

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a cool bipe. The fuse reminds me of the Nesmith Cougar.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:15 AM
groundsman

The plane is covered in Monokote with Monokote trim and DJ striping tape. The cowl is covered with Solar film whitch didn't hold up to well over the years. The windscreen is acetate sheet that was folded and tinted with black Rit die. It has turned brown and darkened with age

Steve
Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 PM
build light

Evgeny-arm, yes that is correct. It is what we call "stand off scale" meaning it is the same plane but the measurments are not close enough to be called "true scale"
In groundsman's first post on this thread, he mentions this.

The plan you have of the Sorell Hyper Bipe is a fine one indeed!

Robert
Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
groundsman

Here are some pics of the full scale Hyper Bipe

Name:	Sp45117.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	580717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98478.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	580718  
Old 12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey, Evgeny-arm, welcome to the forum! I think you might be the first Russian I've seen post here. Now, if you don't mind, stop by Norvel and send us a box of engines.[sm=lol.gif]

Nice thread guys. Groundsman, that's a pretty warm story. Good friends last long after they are gone.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

That's too bad. If you can't get them, they're gone. (I was joking about stopping by, though) By the way, your English is far better than my Russian!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Evgeny-arm

Having drawings of model I could not find the information on the prototype. Photos for me have value. I wish to construct conversion of model under СОХ , Norvel.
-----------------------------
I Am sorry for my bad English.
Hey Evgeny, your english is fine..I cant imagine that bipe will fly with a cox engine though...Rog
Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
groundsman

I'm thinking the same thing Flyinrog. Dick was telling me he thought the fusalage being airfoil shape would act as a lifting surface to help carry the weight. Prescott AZ. is at about 5300 ft. alt, so I was going to try a Cox .09 with throtle sleeve or an OS 10.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve