Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Engine glow head adapters on Ebay

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Engine glow head adapters on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Engine glow head adapters on Ebay

I do not have a stake in this, just saw them on Ebay again and thought some may be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COX-049-Model...QQcmdZViewItem

I have purchased a few from him and they work as good as a standard glow head. Nice to have the option, IMO.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Cox Engine glow head adapters on Ebay

Its been said by others more knowedgable than me, but a standard plug just won't give you good performance in a 1/2a size engine. There is too much compression loss around the element and open plug threads, not to mention the less than optimum combustion chamber shape

I still have a pretty good stock of Cox plugs, but if/when they are gone I will use a Galbraith (sp?) or KK head that takes the Nelson plug.

Arlen
Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
SGC

Arlen ,
Granted these heads wont give maximum performance, but they do perform about the same as a std babybee head , the key is to use a hot plug that hasnt a huge element hole. I have a couple of these heads and when fitted with a fireball hot plug they do perform well.
Stewart
Old 12-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Stewart,

I am not the voice of experience here and I shouldn't stand on a soapbox. You can't argue with success.

However, since you can get a Galbreath head for $10 and Nelson plugs for $3.75 each (Larry Driskill, at kittingittogether.com), and word is that this gives top performance, why bother with something lesser for a similar cost?

Arlen
Old 12-17-2006, 06:56 PM
SGC

Arlen,
Well thats true from your side of the pond but locally here they are a cheaper opption, the ones i have were from the first batch(non anodised ) and i only payed A$2 each, bur even at A$7.50 they are cheaper for us than the galbreth head when you take currency conversion and postage costs into the equation, the other guys spread across the globe well it'll be a tossup. I do also have a galbreth head and nelson plugs as well as a few spare teedee heads and a head clamp that allows Norvel or AP head buttons to be used on cox's, allthough with new norvel supplies looking unlikely these will be saved for my norvels.
Stewart
Old 12-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Remby

Silviare;
I saw he had these up on the Bay again, and mentioned them here to provide a option for those looking at a standard glow head replacement. It works , and the plugs are cheaper than a Cox head.

The Galbreath setup works great, nice for that extra power boost. The Hobbler's adapter is not intended to replace the HC cox glow head, just the standard.

If I felt it was not a good replacement, I would have never of mentioned it here. Again, its all about options on replacement parts to keep the engines running.

There is a video here somewhere on RCU showing this adapter in use on a sure start.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Remby

Found the Video link..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.janse...%20rev%202.zip