Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.25 Sized Bi-Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: .25 Sized Bi-Plane

I have a GMS .25 and it is pretty lame. The OS .25 FX run flat out awesome, I can't believe it isn't priced higher. It's nice to have that brute power for tumbling manuevers.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GMS .47 and it easily matches the OS 46FX's at the field. There is also a .32 sitting in my shop waiting for the airframe to be completed. The .32 is lighter and far more powerful than the .25. A better value as far as I can tell. I'll buy two GMS's rather than one OS any day.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A plain bearing Fox .40 weighs 9 1/2 oz sans muffler. The Fox .25BB @ 8.0 oz....

It's a Pitts, it should be grossly overpowered.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Nice bipe! and I learned some motor related wieght stuff and 1/2a history.[8D] these guys are kinda 1/2 a.... hey that doesn't work, I resemble that remark! Any how its all good. This applies to the Dave Robelen Parakeets our club started building last winter. It was designed for .15 two cycle and we thought we would go with .25s . then in last months AMA mag a club up north (pic in mag was towards the back) went with os .32s ...I hope those boys see better than I do!! those little beggers should scream.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ozmo, those OS .32s are awesome. With a stock muffler they will turn a 8x8 about 17,000. They throttle really well considering the size of the carb and they respond to the full pipe treatment very well. I've seen them in good condition at RCU for about $90.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While the HP may be the same as a smaller 2-stroke, the extra torque of the 4-stroke is what is needed for a biplane. Bigger prop, more thrust, lower airspeed... all perfectly suited for a bipe. I have a Saito .30 in a little Pitts and it is a perfect match, much better than the .25 2-stroke I had in an ACE Simple Ultimate.

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

Rant clipped.
If that means I get up some people's noses by pointing out the inappropriateness of some posts, so be it. I will doubtless do it again-and if that offends there are two options-either keep to the intent of the forum, or have me removed. Either way the issue is solved. If the alternative occurs, and this forum degenerates to the point where it is no longer predominantly about 1/2A-then don't worry-I will remove myself- it will have ceased to provide any interest or value.

'ffkiwi' [unrepentant]
The core group has been posting here for over 5 years, so I think that this forum has degenerated as far as it's going to go. Let the moderators moderate, it's not your job.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Ozmo, those OS .32s are awesome. With a stock muffler they will turn a 8x8 about 17,000. They throttle really well considering the size of the carb and they respond to the full pipe treatment very well. I've seen them in good condition at RCU for about $90.
YEAH Baby!! but I'm not so sure the parakeet would respond well as it is a flat bottom wing bipe with a goodly amount of incedence and it is designed for a .15 . seemed it should be a "on the wing" bird. those guys seemed to like 'em fine though.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The RCCA has a combat class for scale combat that is known as 2548...25 max engine size, scaled to a 48 inch max wingspan. We turn a 10x3 APC or a 10x4 MA on a stock 25fx at 14,500, which is our rpm limit. on a cool day, at least down here in Texas, it will break out on 15 percent. These planes weigh between 3.25 to 3.75 pounds, have no landing gear, and are hand launched, and they have enough thrust to launch very easily, and have a good vertical, airspeed is areoun 55-60 mph straight and level. Might be a good alternative to a 4 stroke if you were so inclined...OR..you could stick a Kentucky Mousse Can muffler and a 9x4 MA on the same engine and it will turn around 18500 or so, and just hang on...

Cash