Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

aircraft collection transport ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

aircraft collection transport ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Max_Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aircraft collection transport ideas?

Hi folks, Long time no post. Well, My wife has finally defended her dissertation(Graduated college), and Been offered a job In Minneapolis,Mn. So Were trying to get started packing/planning our move. Due to my as my Wife calls it "Hoarding" of model aircraft and engines I have quite a lot of completed models to make the move with. Most of these are 1/2a size or .15-.25 size , with one .40 size bipe, 2 .50 size scale helicopters, And a gasoline sized 3-d heli. We are planning on using the ABF "Relocube system, so I'm somewhat overwhelmed in trying to figure out the most efficient way to pack/travel with these aircraft, and to ensure they arent damaged in the process. Anyone have any similar experience or ideas on the best way to do this? I've wrung my mind out trying to decide If i can spare or dismantle a few and sell off airframes here and just transport radio/engine...But I just can't seem to do it . Any ideas appreciated. Any Minnesota 1/2a'ers out there?? I might need someone to stand behind me and point a torpedo heater at me while I fly until I can make the Texas/Minnesota weather transition,lol.....Thanks Todd
Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: aircraft collection transport ideas?

Todd,

I was faced with the exact same problem on my move from Seattle area to Ohio. We packed everything and the movers picked it. I rented a U-hall trailer and towed it to Ohio with all my airplane and her collectables in the back. No damage to anything that way. And we enjoyed the drive knowing nothing would be damaged. Anyhow, good luck with the move and your new home.

Rick
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Yuu

Texas to Minne..burrr..burrr... sota? Minnesota is even further north than Wisconsin, for gosh sakes. You'll need more than a 'torpedo' heater for up there. Yesterday I tried to push a wind direction weather vane into the ground... ground still had 3" of ice in it!!! I had to use a 24" long piece of 1/2" steel rebar and a two pound hammer to poke a hole in the ground for the vertical weather vane stick.
But I know transporting planes is tricky. I'm glad I don't face that problem. Good Luck. And Congrats to the wife.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Todd,

Welcome to the blue north! We will feed you some hot dish at the Lutheran church,
and once you learn to say "Ya, you betcha!" without a drawl, you will fit right in.

Thinking of jouning a club? I am in the Sodbusters, but from Minneapolis, Grassfields may be a better
club to join. Sodbusters is east of St Paul (Lake Elmo), Grassfields is NW of Minneapolis,
(NW corner of Brooklyn Park, north of Osseo.)

ARFS have driven down the price of built planes to almost nothing, so if you can
move them somehow, keep them. You won't get much $$ for them.

If I had to move all my stuff to Texas, I don't even want to think about it.

Dave
http://www.grassfieldrc.org/
http://www.net-express.com/mnrc/sodbusters.html
http://www.net-express.com/mnrc/clubs.html
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4" ply or masonite and 1x2 or 1x3 strapping. Build a frame and cover with ply/ masonite (aka hardboard ). Like a sheeted stick built fuse side. Only difference is the sticks are on the outside of the shipping box. Then assemble boxes with air nailer. Use 2" styro cut to hold fuses and wings in boxes. Remove Landing gear and props. When finished boxes the frame is on the outside leaving smooth insides. Use caulking gun style foam adhesive to hold foam to insides. Velcro to hold planes to slots cut in foam. Relatively cheap. And if they are damaged in transit the movers cannot claim it was incorrectly packed. When stripped of Landing gear and nested carefully, you can get a lot of stuff in a small box. Probably need a box for the fuses and a separate, different shaped one for the wings.

For carrying handles, drill a pair of holes in a secure end frame and thread poly rope through. Knot on inside. Repeat at other ends if reqd.

This was how international competitors used to ship their planes around the world. Just think of the cardboard boxes that all those ARFs come in. Just make it of ply and spruce strapping and then they are 1/2a tough!

Best of luck

Jim H
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Max_Power

Thanks for the tips guys....I have actually found that renting a trailer from u-haul to go North is very affordable compared to going south..So thats looking like a good option at this point. The wood crate sounds good too, But I'll have to price materials. I was also considering using industrial shrink wrap and wrapping them up padded with clothes or blankets,etc. I hope I can hadle the cold 'cause I definitely don't want to be moving again anytime soon. FRITZKE, I had been looking at clubs ...There seems to be quite a few in the area, I imagine my first free weekend will be cruising around to take a look at a few of them , and get my Fix. Finding somewhere that 1/2a/small glow And Helicopters fit in well will be the most important things, As these are my main interests. I'm leaving a AWESOME club here www.austinrc.org Where 99% of the members get along great, regardless of their flying/modeling style and I hope I'm able to find the same there. Is float/ski flying big there with all the water/snow? I have a Schweizer 300 heli on floats I'm anxious to maiden... Todd
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
brocja01

Max,

Welcome to the Great North. My family and I just moved back up here (Green Bay) from Round Rock. Ive been to the ARCA facility, you guys had a really nice strip. I did all of my flying up in Georgetown. That was also a really good group of guys.

Welcome to the north, was just up in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, you'll like it!