Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Shark XV Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Shark XV Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shark XV Build Thread

Bill and I flew the model some more this morning. I switched from the APC 8x4 to a 7x4 and when it got airborne I heard rog and Bill chuckle... because it was noticeably faster! They had seen it Saturday and it was clear that the smaller prop makes a real difference. Knife edge was better with high rates and more airspeed, but I need to move the CG back a bit to get it optimized. This will also help the elevator response on deadstick landings which at very slow speeds was not as effective as I'd like. I actually stalled it once this morning and right at the stall point the elevator got mushy. I'm so used to landing small models deadstick that I forget that most planes like to land under power. What I really need to do is keep the nose down and stop landing it like an .049 SS (which after dozens of flights I have never gotten to stall). The next time I fly it I think it will be about right. It's a lot of fun.

David
Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Bill and I flew the model some more this morning. I switched from the APC 8x4 to a 7x4 and when it got airborne I heard rog and Bill chuckle... because it was noticeably faster! They had seen it Saturday and it was clear that the smaller prop makes a real difference. Knife edge was better with high rates and more airspeed, but I need to move the CG back a bit to get it optimized. This will also help the elevator response on deadstick landings which at very slow speeds was not as effective as I'd like. I actually stalled it once this morning and right at the stall point the elevator got mushy. I'm so used to landing small models deadstick that I forget that most planes like to land under power. What I really need to do is keep the nose down and stop landing it like an .049 SS (which after dozens of flights I have never gotten to stall). The next time I fly it I think it will be about right. It's a lot of fun.

David
MUCH faster is a understatement, that thing was screaming...when I did the hand launch I could feel it pull right out of my hand vs. me tossing it....I got to fly it some this morning mostly trying out knife edge flight which I think after a little adjustment here and there it will knife edge great. Ok Dave my .15LA has no home right now!. Next time out I will bring my camcorder and take some video to post....

-Bill
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
flyinrog

Yep, I didnt fly it but I was watching, during the funfly Vicman commented on the engine sounding weak and I thought he's just holding back because its the maiden flight, but it was over propped...it was about twice as fast today!!I'll be ordering one of his next batch...Rog
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 AM
eroc144

I switched from the APC 8x4 to a 7x4 and when it got airborne I heard rog and Bill chuckle... because it was noticeably faster!
I had a similar experience on my hopped up, .15 engined, HOB P-47, although I used an APC 7x5. It was unbelievably fast in level flight at full throttle - I could hear the elevator fluttering and had to dial it back for fear it was going to self-destruct. When I landed I saw that the thread hinges had torn out of the stab in 2 of the 4 total locations. Yow!

EG
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
flybug

Dave, are you going to make the SS XV available as a kit and if yes what will be the price and shipping dates? Please advise.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Dave, congrats on your maiden flight, as a sureshark junky got 3, I can't wait until you offer this one forsale. Great looking plane!! dave

Pete
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
rainedave

Thanks everyone. [If you didn't get a PM from me let me know.]

David
Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
tewitt1949

Dave. I'd like one also. Thanks Terry
Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
SGC

David, I didnt get a PM wanting 2 kits here please
Stewart
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like one too, Dave. Just let me know the details. Thanks.

Troy
Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Raindave,

I bought a couple of your Sure Sharks and they were awesome. Still flying them. How can I get a couple of the .15 powered one?

Thanks,

Honker1
Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
rv7driver

I just got the SS XV in the mail today, RD that was fast! Thanks so much. What a great looking kit just like the 1/2 Sureshark. I'll be mounting a Magnum XL .15 in this SS. David we as a group here need to get your planes SS 1/2 and the SS XV printed up in the AMA Model Aviation Magazine its just not everyday somebody comes up with a great design like this. Anybody got idea's.

I'll post pic's as I get this build going will be a while I've got another bird I'm trying to finish first Quik fli III. I can't wait!!!!!!

Pete
Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM
flyinrog

I hand launched it yesterday for Dave, and Bill is right throwing it was a waste of energy of my arm, letting it go was all it needed, it was flying faster than I was throwing when it left my hand!!..Dave likes to bring engines to the field for break in..so he only got in one flight and I put the herr extra up twice before we called it a day,...Rog
Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Got mine in the mail today ...thanks RD!
It may be a while before it gets built because of some planes that need finished or fixed.
My wife now refers to my shop as the RC salvage yard[]
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Salvage yard!?, time to teach that woman about collectables and fine aircraft.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Yuu

AARRRGGGGHH !!!! DON'T teach her about collectables! I'm still unloading my mothers house of 'collectables'. Those plates she bought for $30 to $50 each... you can buy them on the net for ONE DOLLAR and the shipping is $3. No, no collectables.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Yuu

AARRRGGGGHH !!!! DON'T teach her about collectables! I'm still unloading my mothers house of 'collectables'. Those plates she bought for $30 to $50 each... you can buy them on the net for ONE DOLLAR and the shipping is $3. No, no collectables.
YUU, would you like to borrow my .22 rifle? Those plates and a box of bullets would be almost as fun as flying!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM
rainedave

I'm going to build a second one, starting as soon as I can. I'll post a bunch more photos of the construction. The reason being that Flying Models is going to publish this one, too.

This one will be the "Hot" version. I scored a NIB Magnum XLS .15A which I understand is quite a bit stronger than an OS FP .15. But, it's heavier, too. I might have to put the battery pack behind the servos in this one.

BTW, has anyone ever compared this engine to the OS .15CV-A?

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18731.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1062799  
Old 10-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Andrew

The reason being that Flying Models is going to publish this one, too.
Super - congratulations, David. You're carrying the small model fight to the enemy.

One of the nice things about this forum is that we can say, "You saw it here first!!"
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
flyinrog

I'm going to build a second one, starting as soon as I can. I'll post a bunch more photos of the construction. The reason being that Flying Models is going to publish this one, too.

This one will be the "Hot" version. I scored a NIB Magnum XLS .15A which I understand is quite a bit stronger than an OS FP .15. But, it's heavier, too. I might have to put the battery pack behind the servos in this one.

BTW, has anyone ever compared this engine to the OS .15CV-A?

David
It is a lot heavier,,, in my current Herr with the os15la the battery pack is right up front,,the first one had a magnum xls and I had to put the batt behind the canopy backrest for balance..Rog
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Tee Bee

Got a box in the mail today, raindave. Thanks a lot! I placed it on the exclusive Tee Bee's Future RC Plane Hall of Fame shelf under the workbench.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
rv7driver

RD, congrat's on your build on the shark XV in flying model mag. can't wait to read it. Please let us know what month it will be in when you find out!!! Pete
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM
franklin_m

RainDave,

Got my Shark XV in the mail today along with a Sure Shark tapered wing. They're both beautiful kits. Thanks for making it easy for my wife to place the birthday order.

Frank
Old 11-01-2008, 01:53 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to purchase one of these as well, if you could please PM me. Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.