Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tiny Tomboy build

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just printed out Andrew's pdf of the Tom Thumb a few posts above---hmmn- 'G.Rock' whoever that is has done a nice job of re-drawing the original Aeromodeller plan-which was-to say the least-a bit cluttered (well it WAS a centre fold in the old fifties era 'small' format Aeromodeller....) and its a nice easy plan to work from......now...shall I build it for an original Bambi, a VA Bambi, an AE .1 or an .010......

MJD-I hear what you say-I'm thinking I should order a few more HS-35's..........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HS-45 is 8 grams and BB. I picked up two yesterday on the way by the LHS. Less of a novelty than the HS-35 but I wanted to check them out, but for similar weight there is the Dymond D-60 with 20+ oz-in.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ffkiwi
hmmn- 'G.Rock' whoever that is has done a nice job of re-drawing the original Aeromodeller plan-which was-to say the least-a bit cluttered (well it WAS a centre fold in the old fifties era 'small' format Aeromodeller....) and its a nice easy plan to work from......
'ffkiwi'
G.Rock is Gene Rock. He has recovered/redrawn a number of classic plans with significant improvement in quality. Many of his drawings can be found on Dave Fritzke's site --- another excellent source of older 1/2A models. Both he and Dave have been instrumental in making a number of 1/2A plans available to the modeling community.

andrew
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
ffkiwi

Originally Posted by MJD
The HS-45 is 8 grams and BB. I picked up two yesterday on the way by the LHS. Less of a novelty than the HS-35 but I wanted to check them out, but for similar weight there is the Dymond D-60 with 20+ oz-in.
The HS-35s must be popular-hardly anyone has got any in stock at present.....might have to look at the Dymond 4.7 as an alternative..........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
ffkiwi

Originally Posted by Andrew
G.Rock is Gene Rock. He has recovered/redrawn a number of classic plans with significant improvement in quality. Many of his drawings can be found on Dave Fritzke's site --- another excellent source of older 1/2A models. Both he and Dave have been instrumental in making a number of 1/2A plans available to the modeling community.

andrew

Andrew- I should have remembered that name, since I've got several downloaded plans saved from Dave Fritzke's site-but I don't think the Tom Thumb CAD redraw is on that site..... after assembling the Gene Rock plan last evening I spent a pleasant half hour doodling with engines-and found my cup overflowing-without any mods to the structure, it will take a Bambi, VA Bambi, Rustler Tadpole (0.25cc), VA Baby (0.23cc) and AE .2.......I could have a fleet of them...! And with that roomy fuselage it is crying out for R/C to be fitted. The layout is such that a strip elevator could be added to the tailplane without too much trouble. Obviously an AE .1 and .010 being radial mounted will require a few structural mods....
'Tomboy R/C' is growing really fast in the UK and NZ as a vintage competition class-(both IC and electric)-I wonder how they'd react if I turned up with a micro one...... ! [I have the 'Old Model Aeroplane Company' laser cut short kit of the 48" version sitting in a box on the bookshelf in the modelling room .....destined for a Mills 1.3 with a Dave Banks throttle added]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM
MJD

Since I had already engraved this on a small wooden parts box, I figured why not try something else. Smear one side with peanut butter and roll it up for a quaint bedtime snack - a PBBee perhaps? Hey and you can have the engine on the inside or outside. I've been cutting and scorching anything I can find that looks like there might be a reason to, and it's come to the pantry cupboard now.
n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1981516  
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
................ I've been cutting and scorching anything I can find that looks like there might be a reason to, and it's come to the pantry cupboard now.
n

I can see that you're having entirely too much fun with your new laser cutter.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
MJD

Actually, yes.. far too much fun.

This is the honeymoon phase where all the possibilities are too exciting for me to be sensible and patient, so I'm just scampering around like a kid in a candy store shotgunning all the stuff I've wanted to try out for a while. With the exception of the tortilla which was just a random silly effort.. I had been engraving the image on the top of a small parts box and this looked like a good idea at the time. But the silver lining is that all this messing around is good practice for doing things serious-like.

I need to pick up some raw materials so I can get to it now.. first order of business is getting my deltas back in production.