Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel .049

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .049

Hi, I'm breaking in a pre-revlite .049 BigMig R/C. I was wondering what RPM's I should be seeing. I'm getting about 18,000 on a Zinger 5 x 3 tuned down to 17,500. Also, I read somewhere in the Norvel thread that the prop should be installed a certain way compared to the location of the piston. I can't find it now though...

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics and hopefully a maiden video of my Sig 'Lil Rascal soon...
Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Norvel .049

ORIGINAL: Entropy

Also, I read somewhere in the Norvel thread that the prop should be installed a certain way compared to the location of the piston.
Generally, I try to have the prop horizontal just as the engine begins to come onto compression. When the engine quits, airflow will then usually push the prop to horizontal and you will have less chance of breaking it on landing (especially without gear). I also find that this makes for easier handstarting.

andrew
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 AM
longdan

There is a school of thought out there that says that installing the prop at a certain angle relative to the crank angle can improve the balance of a single cylinder engine. This is hogwash. I'm a mechanical engineer and I deal with balancing rotating masses on a daily basis.
As Andrew said above, tighten the prop so its horizontal as the piston starts to compress. Less prop damage if your plane has no landing gear. And it puts the prop in a position where its easy to flick over to start. Though for bigger engines with landing gear, I prefer the prop in a more NE-SW position as it comes onto compression. Then the handstart is more of a sideways motion instead of an upwards motion.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Entropy

Thanks guys. So what RPM should I expect from this little guy? I'm using Sig Champion fuel 25% nitro. Prop is a Zinger 5 x 3. And how much should I richen it up from max RPM?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Entropy

I'm just looking for a general ballpark figure what RPM I should see on a 5x3 and how much should I richen it up from peak RPM. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Toad

I would think you should get between 20k and 22k on the BigMig and the 5-3 prop with that fuel
I think those are conservitive numbers also.
Lean it out, till it starts to fade on the rpm then open it just a bit. let that baby scream.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Entropy

Ok, sounds good. I'm hoping the 18,000 RPM is just because it hasn't been broken in fully.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
jessiej

Another consideration in prop positioning is that if the prop is more or less horizontal as the engine comes up on compression it will likely stop in about that position when the engine stops. This makes the prop less prone to damage on landing.

jess.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Entropy

Thanks, Andrew already said that though. I'll keep that in mind though but this one has a landing gear. I really need to post up pictures. I like how the landing gear turned out on the lil Rascal...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: longdan

There is a school of thought out there that says that installing the prop at a certain angle relative to the crank angle can improve the balance of a single cylinder engine. This is hogwash. I'm a mechanical engineer and I deal with balancing rotating masses on a daily basis.
As Andrew said above, tighten the prop so its horizontal as the piston starts to compress. Less prop damage if your plane has no landing gear. And it puts the prop in a position where its easy to flick over to start. Though for bigger engines with landing gear, I prefer the prop in a more NE-SW position as it comes onto compression. Then the handstart is more of a sideways motion instead of an upwards motion.

Yeah, that "prop vertical at compression to counterbalance the piston" theory never sounded right to me. Props are balanced...

I set mine like Andrew and Longdan - horizontal for belly landers and 45 degrees clockwise for planes with gear.

I keep trying to set the prop on my electrics, but the darn things are never where I left them.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
mikegordon10

Sheet man that's what the brake function on yer ESC is for. Now all ya gotta do is anticipate when to hit the "break". I call it this cause that's what happens to the prop if yer off!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Entropy

Thanks, Andrew already said that though. I'll keep that in mind though but this one has a landing gear. I really need to post up pictures. I like how the landing gear turned out on the lil Rascal...

If your landings are like some of mine the landing gear doesn't make much difference!

jess
Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Sheet man that's what the brake function on yer ESC is for. Now all ya gotta do is anticipate when to hit the "break". I call it this cause that's what happens to the prop if yer off!
Sure, I can stop a prop horizontal when it's spinning at 14K, no problem! LOL