Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

crashed the whizard today

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

crashed the whizard today

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crashed the whizard today

hahaha, just keepin ya'll up to date ,, found the fuel problem, went out to the field early today,,was there at 07:00, no body else (a good thing), range check,fired it up, awfully squirrely acting, get some altitude this time, that was part of the mistake last time, (or so I thought) so I'm crusing around up there and I notice it is really sensitive,, dont know anything about throws yet on the radio, but it would fly straight and level hands off, as soon as I gave it the slightest input, it would snap and dive, well about 5 minutes of this, I thought I was used to it and decide to touch and go, and when I brought it around, it did a tailspin and dove into the corn field, which they must have mowed yesterday after I left, so no corn for cushion, just mother earth.. looks pretty bad, I even bent the needle on the Norvel. and lost a wheel some where, my rudder ,I think started to flutter itself loose during the flight..Rog
Maybe I should start on that SPAD
Old 07-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: crashed the whizard today

[
Maybe I should start on that SPAD [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello,
Sorry to hear of your flight troubles. This is a very stable plane, there must have been somthing quite wrong for the problem you described. Can you post a picture or two in the gallery? That may help describe the trouble . Before the wreck if you can. I have flown a couple of these and they are kinda heavy, and that thicker foam wing keeps the speed down. But both I flew were stable as rocks.
Remby
Old 07-06-2003, 04:28 PM
flyinrog

Yeah, its a tank ,thats why I went with the Norvel. 074 I think it was too much motor for the plane and me.. maybe my throws were too high... everything was like 1/2 inch up,down,side to side,,the wing doesnt have a scratch on it and the 5 rubber bands holding it on all popped off.....hope I can get the needle bent back...hate to have to buy a whole new carb....I could put my medallion .049 or the teedee.051 on it?,....oh well back to the building board...Rog

there is a pic somewhere in the design contest pages
Old 07-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Remby

Default Aircraft crash

Hello again,
The Medallion is what I used on one, and it flew quite well. The other flew with a Black widow, and although slower still was a good flyer. You Medallion will give good flights, probally not as good as the .074. These norvel .074s are praised a lot, hope you can get this fixxed without too much hassle. A spad sounds nice, but I would fly the heck out of the wizard first, and get the other ready as you can . Keep posting updates as you can!
Remby
Old 07-07-2003, 01:10 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rog,
If you need a needle or parts for the carb I picked up a used Norvel 074 and dont intend to use it - I can strip the carb for you if you need parts..

Andrew
Old 07-07-2003, 12:11 PM
flyinrog

Thanks AJ, thats very generous of you, I am going to try and make this work, I have pm'ed you though.. is there a site where we can get norvel parts?.....Rog
Old 07-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

What do you have for Hobby Shops up in your neck of the woods? I would think they could get you anypart that you needed. Plus you can order straight from Norvel's web-site. I think that .074 is alittle more than what you need. The Wizard was not made to be a hight performance piece and that .074 is cranking out .10 size power.

Later,
Tim
Old 07-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Lynn S

Rog,
It could be just too much power for it, if everything else was working properly. You may want to stick with the BW for that plane.
How did it fly when you pulled the throttle back?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:12 PM
ajcoholic

Rog,
Before you go ordering parts, take me up on my offer for free ones. Seriously, I dont intend to use the engine/carb as its a bit worn.

AJC
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM
flyinrog

maybe I can fix this thing now that I look at it.. sure wish I knew why it acted like it did,, Tim my lhs is mostly car oriented they have about 6 planes....and no parts ,but it is a new place and they want to grow....hey is the carb on the .074 the same one thats on the .061..does anyone know....Rog
Old 07-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Lynn S

I would take the used carb that ajcoholic has.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:20 AM
ajcoholic

Rog,
The carb is on its way so hold tight...

Andrew
Old 07-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Remby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flyinrog
[B]maybe I can fix this thing now that I look at it.. sure wish I knew why it acted like it did,,

Hello again,
Glad you decided to fly it another time. The throws were quite large on mine as well, however it flew well as long as you used thoughtful control. I now remember that the second went wild with me as well , and the problem was found later as a cracked foam wing. Check the wing for Hidden damage, if it is cracked try to epoxy the damage. The plane is a great flyer, and should allow for a lot more use than it has given. Perhaps you should hold off on touch n go's until it gets 20 or so flights!
Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 AM
flyinrog

Remby, the wing is tough as nails even after the crash,,on the touch and go, I am talking about more of a practice landing with an intentional abort, if that makes sense, I wanted to make sure I could turn it and level it out and slow it down, which didnt happen,,

THANKS AJ..when one of my planes has babies you can have the pick of the litter

Rog
Old 07-18-2003, 12:09 AM
flyinrog

ok, I got the norvel.074, or a teedee.051 carb model or I got the medallion .049 throttle muffler sleeve...which one should I go with when I get the whizard back flight ready...any suggestions?
thanks Rog, hopefully next weekend I can try it again..any good hobby shops in Richmond Va?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Remby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flyinrog
[B]ok, I got the norvel.074, or a teedee.051 carb model or I got the medallion .049 throttle muffler sleeve...which one should I go with when I get the whizard back flight ready...any suggestions?

Hello,
Yes, try the medallion, if you do this it is still easy to convert to a "hotter" engine. I know it will fly well with it, and you can upgrade after you get it dialed in. Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Lynn S

Rog..
It seems like things were fine until you installed your norvel. If the Cox was doing a good job, then have at it with the Cox engine and put the norvel on your next plane.
It takes me two trips to carry everything for my Norvel plane, I can carry everthing with two hands for the BW powered 150LS and its just as much fun to fly.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:07 AM
flyinrog

nope Lynn all I ever had on it was the Norvel..sorry for the confusion......
Old 07-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Lynn S

Sorry, I got you mixed up with JasonRP. He was having great luck with a Black Widow powered whizard.

What happened to JasonRP anyway? He hasn't posted since May.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:16 PM
flyinrog

I got the carb AJ, thanks, will check it out in a day or 2
thanks again,, Rog
Old 07-21-2003, 08:22 PM
ajcoholic