RCU Forums - View Single Post - Impulse Buy ......
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impulse Buy ......

I have been flying rc planes for many years now, long may it continue. My only experience with helicopters was a brief flurry with the little foamy Silverlit type toys and their clones, followed by brief ownership of a Twister Bell medevac model shortly thereafter some years ago - all indoor models. I really have no aspirations to become involved in larger expensive outdoor helis.

That aside, a regular order of sundry hardware ex HobbyKing arrived here yesterday, among which was a Walkera 5G6 indoor heli complete with a WK-2402 tx - all an unashamed impulse buy for the total sum of $49.99

As of right now, I am still battling with the Chinglish instructions on how to change the Tx to my preferred mode 1 - I`m old enough for all this electronics stuff to still be a burdensome mystery - but I will persevere and maybe have got there by the end of the day.

I`ll head into town later and buy 8 regular AA cells for the Tx and maybe plan to install nicads or similar later. I have discovered a charger jack on the rear otf the Tx and surprise, surprise, my Futaba wall-wart charger plugs into here neatly.

Query # 1 - can someone confirm that the standard Futaba charger will work here before I try it out. My concern is for the polarity of the thing - I don`t want to prove it doesn`t via a cloud of smoke.... Also, if I install 8 individual A A nicads into this Tx, will I be able to cycle them in situ. A blocking diode prevents me from doing that with my Futaba 4YF Tx.

Also, it did occur to me that an additional Rx lipo may be a good idea, and I may need to buy sundry spares somewhere along the line. Lastnight I googled the Walkera website and then discovered the reason forthe cheap price - this model is discontinued and alhough the little lipo is still listed, most the parts one would expect to maybe replace are no longer stocked. Nothing relevant is listed with HobbyKing.

Query # 2 - can anyone advise or recommend a source for spares for this little toy. I really don`t mind dealing with China direct as long as the supplier is reputable.

Thanks,

Alan W