Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Impulse Buy ......

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Impulse Buy ......

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impulse Buy ......

I have been flying rc planes for many years now, long may it continue. My only experience with helicopters was a brief flurry with the little foamy Silverlit type toys and their clones, followed by brief ownership of a Twister Bell medevac model shortly thereafter some years ago - all indoor models. I really have no aspirations to become involved in larger expensive outdoor helis.

That aside, a regular order of sundry hardware ex HobbyKing arrived here yesterday, among which was a Walkera 5G6 indoor heli complete with a WK-2402 tx - all an unashamed impulse buy for the total sum of $49.99

As of right now, I am still battling with the Chinglish instructions on how to change the Tx to my preferred mode 1 - I`m old enough for all this electronics stuff to still be a burdensome mystery - but I will persevere and maybe have got there by the end of the day.

I`ll head into town later and buy 8 regular AA cells for the Tx and maybe plan to install nicads or similar later. I have discovered a charger jack on the rear otf the Tx and surprise, surprise, my Futaba wall-wart charger plugs into here neatly.

Query # 1 - can someone confirm that the standard Futaba charger will work here before I try it out. My concern is for the polarity of the thing - I don`t want to prove it doesn`t via a cloud of smoke.... Also, if I install 8 individual A A nicads into this Tx, will I be able to cycle them in situ. A blocking diode prevents me from doing that with my Futaba 4YF Tx.

Also, it did occur to me that an additional Rx lipo may be a good idea, and I may need to buy sundry spares somewhere along the line. Lastnight I googled the Walkera website and then discovered the reason forthe cheap price - this model is discontinued and alhough the little lipo is still listed, most the parts one would expect to maybe replace are no longer stocked. Nothing relevant is listed with HobbyKing.

Query # 2 - can anyone advise or recommend a source for spares for this little toy. I really don`t mind dealing with China direct as long as the supplier is reputable.

Thanks,

Alan W
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM
brightmix
Banned

Default RE: Impulse Buy ......

My PS one was always Jak and Daxter hahaha. And Ratchet. But I was your save the princess game freak.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 AM
AlphaWhisky

I`m sorry I never did receive a coherent reply to my queries - but here`s an update:-

The Tx has been changed to mode 1 - no hassles.

I bit the bullet and tried the Futaba charger on a set of temporarily installed nicads. If anyone is interested, that charger will charge on this Tx, but it doesn`t seem they can be cycled in situ.

I have played around with Google and found what seems to be a couple of sources in China that still stock parts for this little heli.

I have charged the Rx lipo and spent some time trying to program the Tx to work with the little heli. Net result to date - NOTHING - not even a click or wisp of smoke.

There are no helicopters of any type in our club and my (normal) flying mates sort-of looked at me sideways for showing some interest at my stage in life.

On the strength of the drivel from brightmix here, maybe they were right afterall ........

Alan W
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
AlphaWhisky

I`m still not having any joy with this little heli.

Is there anyone out there who has had any success with this little model - who would be prepared to PM me to discuss it.

HobbyKing still have a few of these available - Walkera 5G6 - for $49.99.

Thanks,

Alan W
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 AM
AlphaWhisky

Still no help from out there, but here`s the latest.

I left the whole thing for a few days and have just tried again ....

Ran the throttle stick down to zero and switched on the Tx . The buzzer gave a few beeps and the trim lights ran up and down etc and eventually stabilised.

Connected the Rx lipo and hey presto - after a few seconds the Tx beeped again. Must be progress.

I held the model down on the bench and gingerly opened the throttle. The lower blades only rotated, but a lot slower than I expected. I ran the throttle up and down a few times and the lower blades rotated to match. After about 30 seconds of this I disconnected the lipo and turned off the Tx.

I tried repeating the above process a couple of times, but it`s now back to stage 1 - nothing happens at all.

Surely someone out there with heli experience must have some ideas. I can`t think why only one set of blades would rotate - am I doing something wrong or is it the heli. I haven`t tried dismantling anything, it all looks so small and I wouldn`t know what to look for anyway.

Desperate for help,

Alan W
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 AM
noobflyer01

so what are your questions?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might need to ask these questions in the Walkera sub-forum section.
I don't know how many Walkera people would look here in the general section.
Most of them would probably not look at the "Impulse Buy..." title you used.
There are a number of other sources for parts. I did a Google search for "Walkera 5G6" and came up with some hits that are worth checking out.
RC Fever and some others had some parts. Plus someone was selling parts on ebay as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 AM
AlphaWhisky

Have ascertained that the little heli is defetive although the Tx is OK. HK request I return the whole lot - at my expense - but freight costs more than the whole kit is worth, and they weren`t prepared to negotiate.

I have now bought a Novus Huey ex Tower.

Expensive exercise, but it goes just fine - even with the Walkera Tx which I converted to mode 1.

Alan W
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM
ATVAlliance

Not familiar with this heli, but most speed controllers wont allow the motor to "arm" unless you either have a programmable radio with a "throttle hold" or either have your throttle trim all the way down.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM
AlphaWhisky

I am about as far from being an expert as you can get with this electric stuff but offer the folowing observation.

The Tx (WK 2402)supplied with the Walkera 5G6 appears identical to that that came with the Novus Huey, except the latter has a D/R switch included. Of course all the decals etc are different, but I would be very surprised if these weren't produced in the same (Chinese) factory.

Instructions for both helis are to run the throttle down to full idle prior to switching on, but curiously, the Walkera instruction is to switch on the Tx prior to connecting the Rx lipo whereas the Novus instruction is the other way around - Rx lipo connect and then switch on the Tx to bind. That is at odds with the way I was brought up using regular gear in i.c. planes, but it works fine.

At this stage I have flown the Novus Huey with the Walkera Tx only - I haven`t yet programmed the Novus Tx to mode 1 or even got around to putting 8 cells into it.

The 5G6 seems defective in that just once in about a dozen or more attempts has it looked like running, but only one set of rotors turned briefly, and even then with not nearly enough power to fly....

Alan W