RCU Forums - View Single Post - H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!

Muffler makes a huge difference from reading the 60NX thread.

Broke mine in with a very healthy dose of Castor. Once broken in on 10% Nitro and a 11x6 APC Prop I got 12,900 RPM @ sea level. Going to put a older Ultra Thrust Muffler on it to see how it responds.

I do wonder though, when Jett and the likes manufacture a particular muffler, do they take into account the fact you might have to add an extension. I mean we all know what a engine does when say the tuned pipe is too long. Can the same be said as some add 1/2... 5/8" extensions to the muffler??

Tommy D
Tommy - do you have a link to the 60nx thread? I couldn't find a specific thread.

Went the the LHS yesterday to pick up the tuned pipe and header, and they ordered the wrong stuff. Instead of the tuned pipe, they ordered the tuned muffler. So I went home with it remembering that I have an older Du-Bro 1/2" extension that'll fit (I check it out when I got home). After I get some time on the engine with the stock muffler, I'll change over to the tuned muffler. That should answer the question about using the extension. What's a good plug for this engine? I usually use OS #8.

I ran into another small issue with the E-flite retracts in the wing. After fitting the wheels and cycling them a few times, I could see the wheel well cup moving a little bit when the gear was fully retracted. It appears that the wheel collar it bottoming out and binding the gear. Not good! I've already cut the axel flush with the collar, so I'll need to make a hole in the cup for the wheel collar. The gear works great, but it's not designed for this airframe.[:@] I know that it'll be worth it in the end though. On with the build!

FB