RCU Forums - View Single Post - CL model towing a glider?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: CL model towing a glider?

I have never done any form of monoline myself. The Stanzel G-Line as depicted on the Tiger Shark kit is not the same as Stanzels later mechanical Monoline system that actuates the elevator by twisting the single line.

G-Line did not actuate the elevator instead the airplane was controlled on a single line with the pilot wielding and eight foot bamboo pole with the prescribed length of line from there to the airplane.

Key to the operation was that the line did not connect to the airplane in what became the normal CG relationship as did Monoline or U Control. Instead the line attached well forward of the CG somewhere between the firewall and the leading edge of the wing and this was done with wire standoffs in front of the wings leading edge.

Also with G-Line the rudder and elevator were articulated (hinged) and at the juncture of the elevator and rudder was a simple wire sliding device at the surfaces trailing edges that used a rubber band to hold their position. This to make small adjustments with.

I have not flown this way but just describing what G-Line was. I beleve it was the first system the Stanzells used in defiance of the Jim Walker patents.

John