RCU Forums - View Single Post - HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

I'm not sure about "Strong feelings Against them", that may be a leap too far in interpreting statements made. the sendtiments I pick up are "its new and therefore I'm not certain about qualtiy".

Buying a Futaba reciever is as easy as handing over some cash. The name itself is associated with quality since Futaba is established and has developed its own technology away from other players.

The FrSky/Orange FAAST recievers are not Futaba recievers yet use Futaba's coded Prevision and FHSS transmission strategies. this implies it was either reversed engineered (meaning there could be errors in fewer transmission cycles) or Futaba licended the code to FrSky in order to get more people onto FAAST. I don't know which.

If the former then I can understand the concerns and wait and see approach.
If the latter then I guess it would be a quality product and theres is little need for concern.

I am kleaning toward the latter as it would make sense for a company like Futaba to offer its technology at a lower price poiint but without hurting its current distributors and retailers throuhg drastic price cutting (remember these folk still have stock of branded Futaba recievers).

Certainly FrSKYhas cut frills from the Reciver through not offering it in a casing since those moulds add to cost for little more than simple branding. The thick, clear heat shrinking offers adequate protection to the electric while offering the user with a perfect view of the workmanship underneath. Not hiding there anything are they. If there was low quality workmanship I think they would try to hide it under an opaque black plastic box...

I'm quite confident these recievers are good enough and I have three on order for a couple of slope soarers I am building. I would not hestitate to fit them to my glow engined models either but I do so like to see the Futaba brand name in my planes (Yes yes yes brand ***** over here)