RCU Forums - View Single Post - first helicopter
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
noobflyer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first helicopter

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

There are pros and cons

Firstly, they are way more stable and easier to see than a 450, the difference is staggering.

However....

1) The crash costs are way higher
2) They can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. I'm serious.
3) The batteries are a lot more expensive and you really need a decent 150w+ charger, so be prepared to shell out quite a bit for that.

There are other things to consider. Although they may be easier to see and are more stable, they are not really for a beginner. There are those that have started on a 500 and succeeded but they are few and far between. They can be very intimidating!

All that said, they are easy to build and despite what Align owners will tell you, the quality of the EXI kit is pretty good for the price. You will want to retro-fit the EXI with Align shafts and blade grip bolts because they are weak and/or come bent from the factory. If you decide to get one, go slow on the build and take your time getting it in the air. If you need help with the build, let me know. I built one and I am still flying it, they are awesome helis! But if you want my opinion, the EXI 450 may be a better and safer choice. Good luck!

Hmm, got this post off another site. Sounds like larger helis would be easier to learn on, but crashes cost a lot more and apparently you run the risk of the heli being extremely dangerous if out of control. I'm not sure I like the idea of being wiped out by my first heli, or causing harm to others but like the idea of it being easier to fly. Also I will probably always be flying at parks, vacant lots, or empty parking lots so it sounds like a 450 might be a good idea for safety.

Would going for the 335mm blades instead of stock 325mm make much difference in ease of flight? It gives a little increase in rotor size.
Yeah that pretty much it. Larger the better....but higher repair bills and battery costs. Defintely dangerous in the wrong hands. For a beginner into the world of CP go with a 450. Exi or align ....thats up to you and your budget.

Avoid blinging your starter heli. that's good money going to waste. Keep it cheap so you can learn without the sticker shock of repair bills. After some experience get a nice big heli to fly on.