Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

first helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

first helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first helicopter

I have been flying rc planes for years and have been thinking about moving to heli's. I bought a exi 450 but have the idea its going to be to hard to learn on. I have played around with the helicopter simulators and was wondering what the best way to get into it is. I read that going coax for a first heli doesn't really teach you anything about single rotor flight, and that 4 channel fixed pitched heli's are the way to start. Any recommendations on the best way to start into this hobby, and maybe on which heli is the best for a beginner?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first helicopter

Everybody starts out differently in this hobby, but usually ends up at the same place in time. I myself started out in this hobby at the age of 50, and started out with a 450 sized CP helicopter. Many people will tell you to start out with a little coax helicopter, but I don't think they will help to teach you to fly. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and others will have a different opinion.

It took me a couple of weeks to learn how to hover, then I moved on to forward flight. I personally am glad I didn't waste the time or money on a tiny coax heli to start out. I would say, go ahead and build the EXI 450, and take your time learning.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
noobflyer01

ORIGINAL: jerrymac

Everybody starts out differently in this hobby, but usually ends up at the same place in time. I myself started out in this hobby at the age of 50, and started out with a 450 sized CP helicopter. Many people will tell you to start out with a little coax helicopter, but I don't think they will help to teach you to fly. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and others will have a different opinion.

It took me a couple of weeks to learn how to hover, then I moved on to forward flight. I personally am glad I didn't waste the time or money on a tiny coax heli to start out. I would say, go ahead and build the EXI 450, and take your time learning.
+1
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM
jeffk464

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

+1
how much easier is it to fly your trex500, I have seen the trex kit with motor and esc for about $375.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
jeffk464

Jerry what about your big gaui's like the 425 and 550, they are big and inexpensive? Would they be a lot easier to learn on, I think I have heard that they are pretty tame.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
jeffk464

There are pros and cons

Firstly, they are way more stable and easier to see than a 450, the difference is staggering.

However....

1) The crash costs are way higher
2) They can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. I'm serious.
3) The batteries are a lot more expensive and you really need a decent 150w+ charger, so be prepared to shell out quite a bit for that.

There are other things to consider. Although they may be easier to see and are more stable, they are not really for a beginner. There are those that have started on a 500 and succeeded but they are few and far between. They can be very intimidating!

All that said, they are easy to build and despite what Align owners will tell you, the quality of the EXI kit is pretty good for the price. You will want to retro-fit the EXI with Align shafts and blade grip bolts because they are weak and/or come bent from the factory. If you decide to get one, go slow on the build and take your time getting it in the air. If you need help with the build, let me know. I built one and I am still flying it, they are awesome helis! But if you want my opinion, the EXI 450 may be a better and safer choice. Good luck!

Hmm, got this post off another site. Sounds like larger helis would be easier to learn on, but crashes cost a lot more and apparently you run the risk of the heli being extremely dangerous if out of control. I'm not sure I like the idea of being wiped out by my first heli, or causing harm to others but like the idea of it being easier to fly. Also I will probably always be flying at parks, vacant lots, or empty parking lots so it sounds like a 450 might be a good idea for safety.

Would going for the 335mm blades instead of stock 325mm make much difference in ease of flight? It gives a little increase in rotor size.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
noobflyer01

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

There are pros and cons

Firstly, they are way more stable and easier to see than a 450, the difference is staggering.

However....

1) The crash costs are way higher
2) They can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. I'm serious.
3) The batteries are a lot more expensive and you really need a decent 150w+ charger, so be prepared to shell out quite a bit for that.

There are other things to consider. Although they may be easier to see and are more stable, they are not really for a beginner. There are those that have started on a 500 and succeeded but they are few and far between. They can be very intimidating!

All that said, they are easy to build and despite what Align owners will tell you, the quality of the EXI kit is pretty good for the price. You will want to retro-fit the EXI with Align shafts and blade grip bolts because they are weak and/or come bent from the factory. If you decide to get one, go slow on the build and take your time getting it in the air. If you need help with the build, let me know. I built one and I am still flying it, they are awesome helis! But if you want my opinion, the EXI 450 may be a better and safer choice. Good luck!

Hmm, got this post off another site. Sounds like larger helis would be easier to learn on, but crashes cost a lot more and apparently you run the risk of the heli being extremely dangerous if out of control. I'm not sure I like the idea of being wiped out by my first heli, or causing harm to others but like the idea of it being easier to fly. Also I will probably always be flying at parks, vacant lots, or empty parking lots so it sounds like a 450 might be a good idea for safety.

Would going for the 335mm blades instead of stock 325mm make much difference in ease of flight? It gives a little increase in rotor size.
Yeah that pretty much it. Larger the better....but higher repair bills and battery costs. Defintely dangerous in the wrong hands. For a beginner into the world of CP go with a 450. Exi or align ....thats up to you and your budget.

Avoid blinging your starter heli. that's good money going to waste. Keep it cheap so you can learn without the sticker shock of repair bills. After some experience get a nice big heli to fly on.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
noobflyer01

here's a pic of my blackhawk 450 and EXI450 about 2 years ago.

Did most of my hovering training with these two birds.

Ionly have one bird that Ifly now. The trex 550e Flybarless .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68537.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1512320  
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
jerrymac

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Jerry what about your big gaui's like the 425 and 550, they are big and inexpensive? Would they be a lot easier to learn on, I think I have heard that they are pretty tame.

Jeff, the Gaui 425 bare bones kit costs only $79.00, and parts are fairly cheap. With a $17.00 tail kit and some 550mm blades you can stretch it to a 550. The 425 is the same size as a Trex 500 but is a little lighter. It is also built to use 2 3s batteries hooked in series so battery costs are cheaper. With the right motor and gearing combination they can fly as well as any other helicopter, but can easily be tamed down for beginners.

Even smaller helicopters can be dangerous as the blades spin even faster than the larger ones.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
jerrymac

Here is a pic that should give you an idea of the size difference. It is my Blackhawk 450 and Hurricane 550.

Noob, you need to update your sig, lol..

Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 PM
noobflyer01

lol...I finally fixed my sig Jerry .

Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
jerrymac

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

lol...I finally fixed my sig Jerry .

Looks like an awesome set up too.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Pretty much the same age range when I started and I would not recommend doing it the way I did which was to buy a BNF Blade CP when they came out as I didn't know anything about heli's or setting them up. Seemed like quite a project learning to even hover the thing and later on I find out that little beast is one of the hardest to learn to fly....[X(]

Played with some of the coaxials friends had and it's true, there's not much associated with flying those when compared to a CP single rotor heli except for one thing.... orientation and getting used to which direction to move the sticks vs. a planker which is what I fly most. Bought a Blade 400 for the same reasons as I bought the little Blade CP originally. Didn't take long for the issues with lower quality components to show up. When I started looking on the forums about the Blade 400's and upgrades, it was a BUNCH of money and when you got through spending it all you'd still have a Blade 400 albeit blinged out. So I sold that and bought a T-Rex 450 since I figured the difference in price between that and a blinged out Blade 400 was only 'gonna be about $100.00 or so.

Now with all that boring personal history, here's my suggestion; get one of those little BNF heli's you can fly in the house. It's cheap, lots of fun, will help teach orientation, stick movements and "obstacle avoidance".... Then while playing with that, get to assembling your EXI and I say this because if you're not convinced that you 'wanna play with heli's, learning how to set one up might push you to abandoning the whole idea. Without the Finless videos on another website, I'd have been sunk. Other local heli guys offered to set it up for me but I think if you're going to play with these things it's important to know how to set 'em up and trouble shoot issues as well as how to fix 'em 'cause you ARE going to crash.

As the folks have mentioned and I have looked at the 500 size since the price tag for the heli and electronics isn't that much more and bigger does fly better, the price of the batteries and replacement parts for those WILL hurt a bunch more than 450 size stuff and charging wasn't an issue for me to face as I already have some pretty good stuff for my GS IMAC birds, foamies and the T-Rex 450.

JMHO, YMMV.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 PM
jeffk464

I'm pretty set on heli's, since I became a truck driver it really hasn't been practical to get out and fly my planes. I think these electric heli's will be perfect in that I can play with them around the house when i'm home and can actually take them in the truck when I'm out on the road. This isn't really possible with my glow airplane collection.