RCU Forums - View Single Post - Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

The Cyclone Power ''Red Velocity'' 64mm Special Metal Fan Can replace the stock fan system of most 64mm EDF Foam Jet In the market.
This is the EDF I will be using on my final version of the Shuttle

Description:
- Outside Diameter: 67mm
- Rotor Diameter: 64mm 5 Blade- Material: ABS & Special Aluminum
- Weight: 176g (Whole Unit With Motor)
- Motor: 28mm Inrunner Brushless Motor , 4,300KV ( Include & Installed )
- MAX RPM: 49,000 - 52,000 rpm
- Max Power: 750W
- Battery Required: 11.1v - 14.8V 1,800 - 2500mAh

Static Thrust:
11.1v Around 950g ( 37A ) , ESC Timing Mode : High Position
14.8v Around 1,200g ( 48A ) , ESC Timing Mode : Middle Position

Richard,

I went back to see myself the Weight differences of the EDF Power Unit that I finally used for this project and it was the Freewing 64mm with the Freewing provided B2836 (3500Kv) Brushless Outrunner motor as the entire assembly tipped my digital scale at exactly 4oz.

I almost used the StarMax 70mm EDF Power unit that came with the StarMax F-5E Swiss Tiger Jet and I think that I should have for the simple reason that it would provide "THRUST" as you do not need too much RPMs for speed as this is a very draggy Airframe.

Your thoughts on that Cyclone Power ''Red Velocity'' 64mm Special Metal would be great if this model would be a very nice streamline airframe like a Jet but, it "is" a Space Shuttle with very large Airframe envelope and thereby DRAG!

I noticed the weight of the Cyclone Power "RED VELOCITY" 64mm Special Metal fan unit with motor at a whopper of 6.2oz.![X(]

I would highly recommend to go UP in diameter of fan unit reaching this same weight category as this will provide the Space Shuttle with the needed Thrust to off-set the Airframe drag.

The decission to use the smaller Cyclone 64mm is completely up to you but, believe me, my Space Shuttle is pretty fast but, does not leave too much in the department of Thrust to provide those manuvers such as a Loop due to the small diameter EDF fan unit such as:

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=483

Yes, the Brushless motor is rated at 3000Kv but, it will provide enough torque to swing the 6-blade fan with additional thrust with perhaps the same Current Draw!

If you are going to use a 6.2oz EDF Power unit then, I would highly recommend to see about a larger EDF diameter Power Unit such as 70mm to 75mm for addiitonal thrust.

Carlos