RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

I always considered the AcroStar as an "OK" flying bipe. I built one and the more I flew it the less I liked it. I just didn't like to stay where you pointed it. The Sig Skybolt was a much better airplane for "pattern" flying and I won Novice in the late 70's with one and still have one today. The Aeromaster was the one bipe I really worked with to fly pattern as I got really involved with IMAC in the early 80's... as in number 116 and the best Aeromaster setup was both wings swept, 4 ailerons, engine/lower wing/stab at 0 degrees and the top wing at -1 degrees. That plane with an OS .61 FSR/ABC would scream and do everything in any pattern you wanted.

I sold my Aerostar and the guy who bought it loved it and it lasted a long time... it had no bad habits. A Sig Skybolt was a pilot's airplane that as long as you realized airspeed was god, it would do anything you wanted, but forget that and it would snap and eat your lunch. The Aeromaster was in the middle and really tracked well while doing all the manevers well. I still have my Skybolt and a NIB Aeromaster that will someday be built to the pattern specs.

The Aeromaster would qualify for Antique in SPA/VRCS I believe. The Skybolt and Aerostar would both be SPA legal. It's a nice thought... I think everyone would like to see pattern biplanes as did the TOC as someone pointed out.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Vintage Pattern Aircraft in Fiberglass