Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

Would anyone consider the RCM (Airtronix) Acrostar Biplane a classic Pattern biplane?

I've been reading that there was some success using it in pattern circles during the classic pattern era.

One thing that strikes me is the lack of biplane pattern ships- for obvious reasons.

So far there is the J-Bipe (firemaster modification as well)
Pulsar Biplane
Sunray Biplane
Bree Zee (Joe Bridi)?
Bolero Biplane
Reed Falcon Biplane
Stagger-Bi (Phil Kraft)
Fyg-Leaf
Skybolt
Hyperbipe

Acrostar biplane?
RCM plan # 525

Brian
Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 PM
EscapeFlyer

Default RE: RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed in here yet.

Any help on this one?

Brian
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if we could only find someone who likes bipes.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
EscapeFlyer

I guess that leaves me... [&o]

I feel so lonely.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that leaves me...

I feel so lonely.
You're not alone Brian, I like bipes too! Got an Aeromaster that I'm slowly restoring.

FB
Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

despite me not liking modern pattern planes much i do like some of the bipes i've seen.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Skybolts rule!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Skybolts rule!

I'm interrested in a more "vintage pattern" biplane. They do fly well though. I was unfortunate enough to own a GP Arf'd Skybolt. What a mistake that was.

Brian

p.s.

Any information on the Bolero designed by Lou Proctor would be appreciated. Especially how I can track down a set of plans to plans build. It isn't found at RCM or Air Age (MAN).
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
EscapeFlyer

You're not alone Brian, I like bipes too! Got an Aeromaster that I'm slowly restoring.

FB
This is a great airplane. I am jealous.

Brian
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
pimmnz

I think this one was designed for the biplane pattern class that Gerry Nelson was promoting at the time...
Evan WB #12.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
EscapeFlyer

pimmnz-
I think this one was designed for the biplane pattern class that Gerry Nelson was promoting at the time...
Evan WB #12.

The thread went off topic, so forgive me when I ask if you are referring to the Acro Star or the Bolero?

Do you have any further information?

Brian
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I think you could consider it a "Pattern" type airplane...back then, any airplane that would do the manuvers was considered eligible...at least in the Novice and Advanced (or was it Intermediate? ) categories.
I know that it's capable of the Advanced category manuvers, (and then some ) because I used to fly my friends Acro Star quite a bit...

Does anyone remember who made a kit of the Acro Star that had a moulded, semi-rigid plastic fuselage and a fiberglass skin (no balsa ) covered foam wings? It was an "ARF" kit...made sometime around 1975 or 76.

The one my friend had, was the above described ARF kit...had a K&B .61 in it, and his favorite choice of radio, an EK....I flew the snot out of that airplane [8D] Did my 1st Lomcevack (sp? ) with it...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM
EscapeFlyer

Thank you!!!

I appreciate the feedback and am excited to build one next to my J-bipe. I am looking for a bipe with "pattern" agility. This helps out a lot. It would be nice to know if it would be accepted in CPA type competitions.

Brian
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 AM
proptop

Well...I couldn't tell ya about current CPA elegibility...

All I know is that back in 1975 I flew my 1st Novice Pattern event with a mod. Falcon 56 w/ strip ailerons...

Guess maybe it would depend on what class or category you were thinking about entering?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 AM
stuntflyr

I like bipes. This was my last one.
Chris...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 AM
pimmnz

Sorry, yes, Acro-Star, RCM plan and Airtronics kit, by Renaud and Dewey. Supposed to combine model glider construction and look like an EAA biplane, be capable of the pattern on a sixty, and a sport model with a .40. Would make a very pretty model and probably SPA legal...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Good looking biplanes are either scale models that compete at a great disadvantage against true classic pattern monoplane models, or they are models of specialty pattern biplanes that do not have the looks that many of us seek when searching for a qualifying classic pattern biplane.

I would love to fly a model of an Ultimate Biplane in classic pattern straight up, head to head with the old classic pattern monoplanes, but it goes against the spirit of the contest.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 AM
flyingtheoldones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

I like bipes. This was my last one.
Chris...
Chris, are you using coreless servos or digitals in your Pitts S1

Brian, in my opinion, the CPA is mostly about the spirit of the pre-turnaround days. I dont see why they would disqualify you because of a bipe. Heck, they'll probably be trying to persuade you to compete to get a bipe in their contest. I would love to see an old pattern bipe out there. But that is just my opinion.
I remember Circus Circus Hotels in Las Vegas offered a bunch of "bonus" pionts to biplane enterants one year. It was in the late 80s, dont know the actual year. I do remember that 1st place was decided due to that bonus margin. Who won that year? Chip? Was that the first year Prettner didn't place 1st? I wish I had my mags for reference... oh wait... we got you guys! even better!

DM
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Deadstik

I always considered the AcroStar as an "OK" flying bipe. I built one and the more I flew it the less I liked it. I just didn't like to stay where you pointed it. The Sig Skybolt was a much better airplane for "pattern" flying and I won Novice in the late 70's with one and still have one today. The Aeromaster was the one bipe I really worked with to fly pattern as I got really involved with IMAC in the early 80's... as in number 116 and the best Aeromaster setup was both wings swept, 4 ailerons, engine/lower wing/stab at 0 degrees and the top wing at -1 degrees. That plane with an OS .61 FSR/ABC would scream and do everything in any pattern you wanted.

I sold my Aerostar and the guy who bought it loved it and it lasted a long time... it had no bad habits. A Sig Skybolt was a pilot's airplane that as long as you realized airspeed was god, it would do anything you wanted, but forget that and it would snap and eat your lunch. The Aeromaster was in the middle and really tracked well while doing all the manevers well. I still have my Skybolt and a NIB Aeromaster that will someday be built to the pattern specs.

The Aeromaster would qualify for Antique in SPA/VRCS I believe. The Skybolt and Aerostar would both be SPA legal. It's a nice thought... I think everyone would like to see pattern biplanes as did the TOC as someone pointed out.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Vintage Pattern Aircraft in Fiberglass
Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 AM
RFJ

Any information on the Bolero designed by Lou Proctor would be appreciated. Especially how I can track down a set of plans to plans build. It isn't found at RCM or Air Age (MAN).

The Bolero was published in the April 1964 edition of MAN. Unusually, no reduced size plan was included with the article. Picture below.

I remember Circus Circus Hotels in Las Vegas offered a bunch of "bonus" pionts to biplane enterants one year. It was in the late 80s, dont know the actual year. I do remember that 1st place was decided due to that bonus margin. Who won that year? Chip? Was that the first year Prettner didn't place 1st?
That would have been 1984. Hanno was disqualified and Steve Rojecki won flying a Reed Falcon biplane. John Britt & Dean Koger flew Skybolts. It was the first time Hanno had not won although he did win again in 1988 ( the TOC was not held in 1986) The bonus was 10% for biplanes.

Ray
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Skybolts rule!

I wan't even considering the Sig Skybolt... I would fly one of these in a heartbeat. I did not realise this would be considered or accepted in classic pattern circles. I know there are still kits being sold out there. I'll have to see if I can invest in one.

My apologies David. My reply was a bit short sided in it's nature. I like the skybolt as well. I flew in a RC club in Denver called M.A.S. (Mineature Aero Sportsters) that was started by Lamar Steen himself. The story goes that Mr. Steen was a High School teacher and one of his classes helped him design the biplane. He then built the thing in his basement with the help of some students. At least that is how I remember the story. Maybe someone from MAS could clarify it for me.

My question is which came 1st, the Skybolt or the Pitts? It seems to me the Skybolt is a stretched out Pitts.

RFJ-

You have always been a geat help. Thank you for your information on the Bolero.

Has anyone any experience with the Bolero?

Brian

edit:

As it turns out, I am happy to find several attractive biplanes that can be considered for this era and genre of competiton flying. I just stumbled onto a two more. The first pic is a Reed Falcon Biplane, and the 2nd pic is a Fyg-Leaf. The 3rd is the Acro Star, and the Bolero is seen in the previous post.

The 4th and 5th pics are the Stagger-Bi by Phil Kraft. Not attractive IMO, but worth seeing. Very nice.
The 6th is Joe Bridi's Bree Zee. (Anyone have other pics of this finished and flying? Please post if you would.)

Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
jjscott

Here is a pic of my original Pulsar, probably from about 1978, K&B 61 piped. Sold long ago, but I needed another, so here is a recent RCU purchase, a Pulsar in need of restoration. I've got the wings and tail restored (all new tail wood) but have not yet started the fuse. The old firewall is out; I need to decide what to put in it, get the new firewall in, and do the glass work on the nose.

RCM has published the Rodeo. The plane pic is from magazine article. Span 52, 835 sq in. Looks like a real airplane. Foam wings, fairly thin semi-symmetrical section, large ailerons on lower wing only. The moments look similar to an Aeromaster. I bet it would fly pretty well, but I doubt it would be in the same league as a Skybolt or Pulsar.

Jim
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
RFJ

My question is which came 1st, the Skybolt or the Pitts?
1st flight Steen Skybolt October 1970
1st flight Pitts Special September 1944

Ray
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
flyingtheoldones

RFJ.. I'm always amazed bythe info you have.

thanks for the '84 TOC info as well!

DM
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
EscapeFlyer

jjscott-

How about a flight report on the J-Bipe, eh???

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.