RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me or .... Align frame hex screws
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it just me or .... Align frame hex screws

ORIGINAL: joe_crash

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems with the Align Trex 450 frame hex screws stripping?I am rebuilding a 450 Pro, and have to take the frame apart to get the servos in, and almost all of mine are stripped. Isuspect it may have to do with the EXI 1.5mm hex driver not being of the best quality tool steel, but they do seem very soft.
Anybody have a better idea to getting stripped screws out other than drilling them out? I was going to try taping the CF frame everywhere but the screw caps, and filing them off, lifting the frame off and then turning them out with plyers, but think that just drilling them out may be a better idea.

I ordered a replacement frame from HeliProz, just in case I had to cut it off, but misunderstood their catalog description of that part "Trex 450 Frame" as being two sides - a complete frame. Low and behold, it's just one. I wanted to avoid drilling if at all possible on the screws that turn into the metal frame where the 2 cyclic servos are and the main shaft, as I suspect I'd have to then tap and cut new threads.

Anyone have a better idea or a good (read easy and fast!) way to do this???

Thanks all,

(Oh, Ijust looked at the HobbyKing website and see I could have gotten the entire assembly for $30 )
Hi,

No, it is not just you..

I had exactly the same problem with the hex nuts on a Pro and a GT..

It is ENTIRELYthe fault of your tools.

I got so frustrated with it happening to me I went and bought the BEST Hex drivers I could find.

I bought this one..

http://www.orcarc.com/en/products_3.asp?id=153

I have not had a single screw strip since using this tool.. I have even deliberately tried to strip a screw by overtightening it.. it did not strip.. the screw just snapped...

The tool cost more than a Hobbyking helicopter Kit but has paid for itself many times over by saving my sanity on subsequent heli builds..

I now have two of these tools and 2 are perfect for tightening the feathering shaft screws on the head...

Hope that helps...