RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Cosmic Wind Minnow
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
airmike1271

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Well, I have noticed almost no activity on the Minnow...probably because the aircraft is discontinued and for the one's that are out there, well, there is that expiration date on our aircraft :-( Anyways, my input is way overdue as I work too much. I still have my GP Minnow. She had been a hanger queen for the past year as I was waiting for a replacement canopy to show up in the retail system. The original canopy ripped as I was removing it since the pilot head broke loose and was rolling around (learned my valuable lesson not to use CA on the canopy). Anyhow, I have powering my Minnow a OS 75AX and a Macs tuned header and muffler system. I have a total of 25 flights, 2 flights only this year. After experimenting with props, the APC 12x10 seems too really scream. However, I have only 4 flights with the 12x10. I am getting a lot of vibrations with this prop, even with it balanced and carefully mounted. My guess is that the spinner (orginal) is out of balance and ground resonance that is creating an alarming amount of vibration. I am satisfied with the speed flying, and I love the looks and exclusivity of the Minnow. Hence, since GP discontinued the Minnow, I will stay with a 13x9 prop and take it easy on the Minnow since I would like to keep my favorite plane around for as long as I can.

Regarding the CA hinges, apparently I did not center one or two of them on the left aileron during the build several years ago. During a power dive last year, the left aileron fluttered, ripping the aileron out of the trailing edge of the wing and stripping the gears to the servo. The airplane landed safely and was repaired. Since I carefully replaced the CA hinges with new CA hinges on the left aileron, I have not had any reoccuring flutter in any of the control surfaces.

Hopefully the information that I posted was helpful, or atleast entertaining. One other thing that I forgot to mention; I purchased a GP Little Toni Canopy as the replacement canopy for my Minnow...I works just fine and must be the same as the Minnow.

Happy flying!
Mike