Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
coololdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Cool to see you coming back into the hobby....and with such a cool plane.....I love my minnow...just a couple a weeks ago I had my OS 91 FX modded and set the right way for my tune pipe.....I'm now running a 12x10 prop. and gettin just over 14,000 out of this 15cc engine...we speed gun this bullet and its not to bad.....128.03mph So I wish you well I look to see post of your progress.....like I've posted in this thread before I wish more people were into these style of planes. oh and what cought my eye about your post is the razer back....my Dad was born in russelville so there all fans
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 AM
kochj

Plenty flying it, just not that many one the web.....
It is always this way.....New plane....Many many posts, then after 2-years... nothing....

I have said it before, I can't uderstand why anyone would go out and buy something smaller for the same price as this
one??
MIne is still in the box.....

Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
kochj

RWHOrtin...

That plane looks amazing!@

Great job on the paint ....Perfect match...
I want to do that on my plane!.....
I have my OS1.20 piped on a QQyak64 69" right now,,,,and all I can say
is WOW.....That is a MONSTER Power engine..... The pipe, makes it gain upto 1000RPMS.....

I know that 4-strokes have good "steady" power, but for stait line speed?....
I would think that if you get a 1.20 piped , it would pull way higher speed than the YS 1.20?

You said that you tried a OS1.20 already..??
A saito 1.80 or OS FS 200 or a FX1.60 would be awsome.....
That would be fun to plane around with!.....
I may just do that once I get my job situated!!.....

Justin...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you glass the center section of the wing really well. The arf was not ment to fly that fast. I have heard of many a little toni come apart when powered with the big engines. Don't use ca hinges, and pin the hinges.

TF doen't make true red any more and finding a match is almost impossible. Mine is down right now, I want to replace the decales with paint. I ordered some paint that was supposed to be a match and it wasn't even close. So now I get to strip the whole wing down and start over.

but it is a Great flying plane.

Ron
Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM
russm

good advise on the wing. had a 120ax on one and the wing evaperated. have a os 120fs3 pumped on mine now. terrible combo. maybe 60 mph. going back to the 120 ax w/ a jett muffler soon. would like to try a ys 140 .
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent some time looking at engines for mine and the YS 1.10 was just perfect. It didn't need any lead or move the servos around to wierd places. Even the fuel tank sits over the CG.

Now YS has a 1.15, The 1.40 is a low rpm engine and it's hard to get high pitched prop for the 1.40. I would think you would need something like a 15x15 or something in that range.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 AM
kochj

Ohh that is right....I forgot about that color not being offered any more...

THey have it on the staggerwing as well....

I had heard that for them to produce that color in a can wasn't cost effective..??
something about the pigmentation too exspensive/???

I know that for H9 fans you are S out of luck!...THey do not even make ANY spray colors to
match there Orocote.....

Monokote has some major issues, but at least, they have there colors in a spray can...well, except
for this one...[:-]
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 AM
kochj

I had talked to someone on the web that could get there color matched, and put
in a spray can for fairly reasonable//
I will have to check what is available around me....
I love PPG auto motive paints, just not sure that they have a paint match system...??
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone who has this plane measure the length for me? The GP site says it is 67" long and the Tower site says it is 56" long. I am tempted to go with this vintage looking plane rather than the new GP Shoestring which turns out is going to be too small for my wants. Thanks! Jon
Old 09-05-2009, 05:38 PM
russm

approx 60"
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice that Tower has recently discontinued this plane. Never did get it, might eventually give in to the new, smaller Shoestring. Jon
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
kochj

I just noticed that as well....

What a way to pee in my cherios!!!!
This plane is a "Best BUY" IMO~

The price is unreal when compared to other f1 aircrafts....

the .50 SUndowner is 250$!!

If I had the cash I would buy up anotherone of these AND a LIttle TOni as well..

TOwer isn't the only place that has these...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 AM
russm

where else are they available. dos not seem to be much interest in the new shoestring either
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
airmike1271

Well, I have noticed almost no activity on the Minnow...probably because the aircraft is discontinued and for the one's that are out there, well, there is that expiration date on our aircraft :-( Anyways, my input is way overdue as I work too much. I still have my GP Minnow. She had been a hanger queen for the past year as I was waiting for a replacement canopy to show up in the retail system. The original canopy ripped as I was removing it since the pilot head broke loose and was rolling around (learned my valuable lesson not to use CA on the canopy). Anyhow, I have powering my Minnow a OS 75AX and a Macs tuned header and muffler system. I have a total of 25 flights, 2 flights only this year. After experimenting with props, the APC 12x10 seems too really scream. However, I have only 4 flights with the 12x10. I am getting a lot of vibrations with this prop, even with it balanced and carefully mounted. My guess is that the spinner (orginal) is out of balance and ground resonance that is creating an alarming amount of vibration. I am satisfied with the speed flying, and I love the looks and exclusivity of the Minnow. Hence, since GP discontinued the Minnow, I will stay with a 13x9 prop and take it easy on the Minnow since I would like to keep my favorite plane around for as long as I can.

Regarding the CA hinges, apparently I did not center one or two of them on the left aileron during the build several years ago. During a power dive last year, the left aileron fluttered, ripping the aileron out of the trailing edge of the wing and stripping the gears to the servo. The airplane landed safely and was repaired. Since I carefully replaced the CA hinges with new CA hinges on the left aileron, I have not had any reoccuring flutter in any of the control surfaces.

Hopefully the information that I posted was helpful, or atleast entertaining. One other thing that I forgot to mention; I purchased a GP Little Toni Canopy as the replacement canopy for my Minnow...I works just fine and must be the same as the Minnow.

Happy flying!
Mike
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
kochj

The vibration is the stoC spinner...(missing a letter on my Cey Board)

I piCed up a true turn spiiner (3" SPECIAL)
The shape is about perfect and very close to the scale spinner that came with the plane...

One could place the spinner on a balancer..(I did that with my 5" cap spinner) and turned out just fine..

Also...Vess, has a nice setup that they call a balancing ring...
It worCs very very well...
I don't believe they have it for the smaller engines yet....only large gassers right now...

I will get to mine....I hove to finnish the other ones first...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM
blackmonte
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: blackmonte

Well after a 3yr absence from the hobby and selling everything I had, the minnow arrived today. Had a OS 91fs on the first one I had. Gonna go with a Saito 115 this time. I loved the first one and hope this one will be just as good. It was my favorite one in the hanger. Now if I can just find a ''Gilligan'' pilot.
Anybody still flying the minnow?
Well folks, as you can see from post #100 I had ordered another minnow before they were discontinued. I FINALLY (LOL) maidened it yesterday. Running a Saito 115 this time. Flew 3 times, 2 clicks of right rudder is all it needed for trim. This is one sweet plane. I'm glad I ordered another before they were discontinued.
I was a little nervous because I have probably flown a couple of times in the last 5yrs or so. After the first flight the nerves was gone. This plane is so smooth and it lands almost like a trainer.
Great Planes needs to bring this plane back. I love the all fiberglass fuse. I wish they would build more arfs with glass fuses.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
blackmonte

With good weather today and time I tried several different prop/pitch combinations with the Saito 115 and the APC 14x8 gave the best results. With garmin gps top speed was 139 mph [X(]
Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 AM
airmike1271

Congradulations Blackmonte on getting the replacement Minnow flying. Wow, 139mph is great! The Minnow is wonderful to fly. For such a fast bird, the Minnow flys so well that you could literally fly it like it is a pattern aircraft. I'll be taking 2 weeks vacation in June, hopefully I'll spend lots of time flying the Minnow during that time.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM
kochj

Well time fly's.
Weatherhasbeen horrible. Today Is the first day that was above 70's as most of June has been rainy and 65deg!

Have not got my Minnow together yet.
I may make mold of all the wings fuse and cowl.
If the plane goes in,I will be able to make a new one.

I am temped to do it anyway, and make it very light, with carbon fiber used throughout.
Obviously, th entire plane would be fiberglass.

Anyone flying there minnow?

I don't see any race type planes this size from anyone except Seagull.
They have a 1.80 sized scale racer.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 PM
blackmonte

Well hopefully will get to fly the minnow this weekend. It's been in the hangar for 3 yrs. LOL
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmonte
Well hopefully will get to fly the minnow this weekend. It's been in the hangar for 3 yrs. LOL
Mine has been in a Beaver Pond for about 3 years. Nobody has yet to figure why it went in. Was flying a nice straight and level pattern, then suddenly nose dived into the pond. Part of plane remained in a tree, but you would need scuba gear to find the engine.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

If anyone has a canopy hatch from a wrecked one Id be interested. Have no flippin clue what happened to mine..
Paul
Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

Never mind....found it. :-D