RCU Forums - View Single Post - which redcat to get
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: which redcat to get

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

i'm on a limited budget, about $215.Which truck would you get.I dont have much exprence with rc,non with nitro,but willing to learn and i do have alot of carb tuning skills with dirtbike,quads etc..Here are the ones i am looking at.
Caldera 10e and nitro
volcano s30
earthquake 3.0/3.5 nitro
volcano exp
I will be getting just after christmas just dont know what to get.I would like to se a size difference between the s30 and the earthquake.I have not seen any of these up close just online.Please give reasons why.

thats alot of questions. ill try my best to help you out here. im a redcat dealer, and i own several redcats myself.
there is nothing wrong with nitros, but if you are fairly new to the hobby, then i highly suggest going with electric.
also, the least expensive nitro redcat has is the tornado S30(the shockwave is less, but the tornado is better) it costs $160. but then you need about $60 worth of other things, like nitro fuel($30 a gallon) fuel bottle, glow plug warmer and tools. thats gonna max out your budget.
the volcan S30 costs alittle more, so after all the extras you are over budget.
the earthquake 3.5 alone costs what your budget allows.

with all that said, i would reccomend the volcano or tornado epx PRO. not the regular epx version with a brushed motor. thats too slow. the PRO versions have a brushless motor. they go over 30MPH out of the box(with included battery) and later on you can get better batteries(or lipos) and it will run even faster. i have both of these models. they are tough and fast. best of all, they cost $180 shipped with a battery. that would leave you enough cash for some upgrade or another battery.
you can PM me if you like, and ill let you know what kinda deals i can get you.

my final words: you asked for reccomendations. but follow your heart. if you want a fun RC to bash and go fast, the epx PROs are great. but if you are dying to try out nitros, you want to hear the noise and smell the fumes and get your hands dirty, then by all means get a nitro. but be prepared to take your time. nitro motors need to be broken in, and then taken care of. if you really want a nitro, go with the tornado s30 or volcano s30(when you have enough cash)

oh, to answer your last question. the size difference. the volcano is 1/10 and the earthquake is 1/8. so, basically the earthquake is longer and alittle wider. it also uses a larger motor(both the nitro and brushless version do)