RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Tiger Tails????
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Tiger Tails????

RCDENT:
Thanks for posting the photos of the planes we flew that weekend. I enjoyed the company and the flying. Your TT3 with the Rossi is no slouch. It can out run my Tipo and P-7 but I think our TT's side by side would be a draw on the speed gun.

David (Doxilla):

the photos that RCDENT posted were at one of our flying fields in San Antonio TX area. The Tipo is mine. I got it at a swap meet a few years ago and refinished it. I took some of the ideas for the paint scheme from a photo I had of Steve Helms Aurora from a contest in Lancaster CA. in 1987. My Tipo had been crashed previously and the fuse had been broken in two places so it is rather heavy (about 8.5 lbs). I have an OS 61SF on it with a Macs header and pipe. It flies OK but since it is heavy it runs out of energy quickly on the verticals. Engine is turning 12.5 K with an APC 11X8. Need to work on the pipe length and prop but haven't done so yet. I also have one of the H9 P-7's with a YS 60 SR (side exhaust) It runs well but again more work on pipe length and prop. It flies better than my Tipo but it is also about 1 lb lighter. The last plane in my CPA inventory (that is built) is the Ron Chidgey TT4 that RCDENT posted the photo of. After flying all three planes on the same day I have to confess that the TT4 is the best flying of the group (probably because Ron built it and it has not been crashed). It is a rocket with the Webra 61 rear exhaust on a pipe and the Top Flite Super M 11X7 3/4" prop. I didn't tac it but the engine really runs well. I find that Ron's TT4 is very light (about 7 lbs and his construction is impeccable). If you can find the construction article he did on the Tiger Tail (I believe it was Model Airplane News in 1972 and it may be at CASniffers pattern site), he details his construction method and I have to confess that the wing alone is much lighter than either my Tipo or my P-7 and the finish is simply great (even though this plane was built 30 years ago).

JeffH:
As rv7driver says, check Ron's website. I have had the pleasure fo talking with Ron a couple of time with him regarding the TT series and he is great to talk to. He will take whatever amount of time you need to help you. I will order a set of the TT$ plans and build another plane so I can put my current TT4 on the shelf.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60588.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1534460