RCU Forums - View Single Post - You Can Win First Place at a Warbird Rally With An ARF? Really?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

Here we go again. Let me just say, differing opinions should not, and I hope will never be looked down on, personal attacks will. Also, berating people is not a good way to lighten the mood. All I'm going to say about that.

Most guys posting here probably have an ARF or two or more. I sure do (just took inventory and I have 12, if I count the 3 helis. Only flew 5 of them last year. I need to have a sale). They are not an evil thing. I enjoy most of mine for what they are. However, again, from a scale perspective, even the best of them look pretty sad, and especially in the case of war birds, when compared to a hand built and detailed scale war bird (my extremely modified P-38 is respectable, but certainly not Scale Masters or Top Gun caliber). Those Chinese companies don't seem to have a clue, much of the time, when it comes to markings, weathering, pilots (OMG the things they throw in the cockpit to pose as pilots, not to mention the cockpits), painted panel lines with simulated rivets that look more like buttons, shinny plastic covering with kill markings on the sides, and many other scale details. How many WWII ARFs do you see at the field with USAF emblazoned on their wings? Now, this is all very well and good at the field on Sunday, just for fun, or even at fly-ins for fun, but not serious competition. Unless, again, it is with other ARFs. In the latter case, one would have to think that scale flying would carry more weight than static scores anyway.