RCU Forums - View Single Post - ST2300 Testing and Experimenting
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM
min$2crash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ST2300 Testing and Experimenting

Ummm, I've been reading thru a lot of this thread to learn about ST deadsticking issues for my 3250, and while I have a few new directions besides new carb (THANKS, ALL YOU POSTERS!), I am struck by one overwhelming concern...
There was a bright Red X on day one of this thread when the OP said one prop ran better than the other.
What about prop balance? I don't ever remember reading that this was pursued. Prop imbalance can drive fuel foaming, which makes needling impossible.

That's going to be my next focus. I forgot to balance mine ..... and it turned out to be pretty far out when I finally checked it. Lots of sanding, and double doping the opposite side finally did it.

Meanwhile, I have drilled out the tiny ST carb inlet nipple a tad, pulled the needle and stoned some rust off of it (OOH, never seen that one!), and used red silicone (Permatex hi heat from auto store) under the brass spraybar because I have seen this as a big variable air source on this carb in my 51's. If and only if you are good with a fine stone: the back/sealing side of this brass piece tends to have some burrs that keep it from sealing flush on the back face.
The red goo is easier for non-machiinists.... but you could remove those burrs to improve sealing and then still be able to adjust (rotate) the spraybar for midrange in-the-field, so to speak. Either or, really... so I did both!
(I can always peel off the silicone at the airfield).

So that's where I am, one question:
I am mounted sideways, cyl head at 9:00 from the front. My carb needle points down, though. That is contrary to the manual (180° out). Any data out there that this is a problem?
I prefer it this way because it leaves the idle needle up, where I can get at it, and keeps the fuel line low, where it comes thru the firewall. Besides, the thr-servo pushrod routing is a real "beach" when you use that big backplate!