RCU Forums - View Single Post - G62 without carb insulator?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: G62 without carb insulator?

The insulator block is there to INSULATE the carb from cylinder heat. You need it.

To prove my point,

I have a converted 75cc engine that came out of a Stihl demo saw. The person who converted it did a very nice job, except for one little glitch. He made the carb insulator block a little too thin in one spot - but thats what the person who sent the motor to the engine to him wanted done. It was supposed to go in a very narrow cowl, so space was limited. The base of the carb was touching the cylinder in a circular ring about 1/8" wide. That allowed heat transfer from the cylinder to the carb. The motor ran fine for 5 minutes. Then it would vapor lock and dead stick. Would not restart. You could choke the daylights out of it and flood the cylinder with cold fuel to solve the vapor lock problem in the carb. But then the engine was flooded. I'd have to pull the spark plug out and dry it off to get the engine started.

I made a spacer block 1/4" thick, with G10 epoxy board, and installed it between the carb and the existing insulator block. No more vapor lock. Engine runs fine now.