RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Aerobird, Fighterbird and Firebird Pilots
Old 08-22-2003, 11:22 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with AeroBird

I really like the Aerobird. I think I am doing a lot wrong. I need your help.

First I have heard people saying they reinforce their Aerobird wing How do I do that? I have dived and cut back on throttle and have had my wings sear off...not going that fast either and using 6 aerobird rubberbands but the wing is giving way so that has really made me careful with keeping full power on in turns and other times....... is question number 1.

2) I cannot control this plane in the wind. It just takes it away. I hear people saying they fly in high winds. I can pull it over to the right and it would keep going strait till it got out of wind. I joined a Club yesterday and was there today and one of the old guys was there and flew mw plane and he did great! I think it is pilot error a lot of my problems. but I let another guy which these guys are older men and really know what they are doing and have the 3-D planes you know...the big ones. the second guy had the same problem that I had. He said he was holding it over like I did and it flew into a tree. I was watching and it happened to me too the same day. This is the second time to happen to me. I thought it was radio problems. I checked it out with someone that knows more than I. I am pretty good but I was baffled. I even bought another Aerobird because I though I may have had a bad one. But I have the same problems. This is happening close to me.. not far out where I am seeming to lose contact but I do not think that is the case at all. We adjusted the trim and the throw on the elevators these guys know what they are doing and if flew a little better ( I do have the X-tail and 7 cell battery fully charged and a 6 cell fully charged too when it is happeing). But the guy that was flying it when it went in the tree said the wind seemed to got it. I agree because the same thing happened to me. I thought it was me.

Also on my turns the expert that flew it first said it was a little honey and he liked it. But he was watching me fly and helping me and said that when I turn I am slowing down too much and letting it fall in a turn, He said to keep power on almost full. But when I do that it wants to climb. So my turns look spastic. I know you turn roll the plane and give just a little up and make adjustments but sometimes with this plane according to the wind and power you have to give down even! We discussed a shim on the back of the trailing edge of the wing. I did that before and I lost almost all lift!. I am not getting enough height on purpose when I fly. I have gotten shell shot because it gets caught in the wind and starts to fly away. He said more height the more you can do and have time to recover. Of course these guys don't know me and I knew that but I am listening to them. The other guy did the same thing started to fly lower then before after his second flight. But it seems I lose control of the plane in the wind and I ends up in a tree (2nd time) but the guys are going to get it for me at the club. That is a good thing about a club. This field is way too small and it is good for experienced fliers. but if you make a mistake it is not forgiving. It will end up in wires a ways out on the other side of the field and trees surround the whole field.

So If some of you fellow Aerobird fliers will answer my first question about the wing and give your opinion and answer some of the other questions i would thank you very much! I really think I need a really big place to fly this plane. It seems if I had more room there wouldn't be that problem of having to turn so much and dodging trees and everything else!

Thanks