RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here we go again... Anyone got Vortac Bombs and drops?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Here we go again... Anyone got Vortac Bombs and drops?

I have molded scale bombs for four different scale models used in competition. It really is not that hard. First make a pattern for the body; a lathe helps but it can be done on a drill press. Make two half female mold shells from fiberglass using the techniques you can probably find on RCU. The fins can be thin plywood, plastic, or plastic packaging that you luck into. I cast my first bombs from polyurethane foam. I used "Mountains in a Minute" a two part foam that the model railroad guys use. I have not had good luck with insulating foam--it doesn't react in the closed mold. Make sure you leave a vent hole at the end of the mold for the excess foam to escape. I clamp or bolt the two mold halves together. The down side of this is that the bombs will sometimes break when dropped. To eliminate breakage lay up a fiberglass shell in the female mold--two layers of 2 ounce cloth is enough. Trim the glass and pop the parts loose from the mold. With the fiberglass in the mold put "Mountains in a Minute" in the halves and clamp them together. After it cures you will have two perfectly joined halves of a bomb body. Cut a slot for the latch rail and drill a couple 1/4 inch holes where the screws go and epoxy a short length of dowel stock into the holes. Add your fins and paint. Drop on the bad guys.