RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heli stuff and fellowship
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Chopper Chuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hi all: Been busy and been flying too. Helpin my buddy learn the SR. He's doin great too.

Regarding surge suppression: We know arching is not good. An intermittent or otherrwise less than solid connection is bad for anything electrical, but especially bad for electronics. When space and weight are not a factor, virtually anything can be done. I am responsible for a 24x7x365 data center operation, a relatively small footprint, but highly sophisticated. I have about a .5 megawatt load with full UPS and isolation, which, during a utility company power failure, I seamlessly transfer to a 1 megawatt backup generator via fully automated switchgear. As long as I can get diesel fuel, the North American power grid cannot hold me for ransom! I think it's important to remember what were protecting. The receiver and servos and gyro should be more susceptible to damage than is the ESC at plug in. At plug in, the current draw is minimal, since the motors are not calling for load. It is my opinion that installing a switch on the receiver feed is prudent regardless of anything else, given exposure to that gear and the fact that a switch capable of handling that small current load will be physically quite small and easily accommodated, even in the smaller helis that Choppy flies. I also like the idea of installing a circuit for more protection, given space will accommodate it. I also suggest that the use of 2 separate battery connectors (one for each lead as opposed to a unified + &- plug) immediately reduces the opportunity of a "hot"'fumble at plug-in by 50% ir some number that an exercise in prob & stats could support (if amyone is up to that rigor) and makes sense.

So that's the Chopster's view from the noob's observation point. Have a superb day everyone! I loves ya all!

Le Chop