RCU Forums - View Single Post - ST2300 Testing and Experimenting
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
min$2crash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ST2300 Testing and Experimenting

Actually, its not awkward at all, as I can reach under the engine and adjust the HS needle easily. This leaves the Low Speed needle on top where I can get at it easily with a screwdriver.
Once things are set and the cowl is on, I will put an extension on the main needle for daily tuning of the HS needle. Low speed needle will not be adjusted at that point. Access hole for the HS needle extension will be on the bottom, out of view. This is how I planned it, actually- for the longer term. But alas I have not flown with the cowl on yet because the engine still goes deadstick at 1/2 tank despite hours of tuning with loads of expert help.

I even tried the hotter Enya #3 plug that has helped all of my supertiger 51's to no avail.
As for how it went,capnjohn, all of the above 5 "upgrades" plus a bubbleless clunk did not solve the deadstick at half tank issue, so I set up a cheap manometer with a few feet of fuel line hooked up to the muffler's pressure tap.
I believe that I got that idea somewhere in this huge thread. If the fuel were water, 12" of water would indicate ~0.5 psi. This stuff is lighter than water (SG~0.7) so I expect a proportionately higher 17" column for 0.5 psi.
Actually, numbers aside, it makes perfect sense that the tank backpressure should raise a column of fuel ~= to the nose-up fuel draw distance if the carb has no fuel suction to speak of.
There is no significant backpressure(<0.5" in the Utube manometer= <0.1 psi), even with one exhaust outlet plugged on the JTEC pitts muffler, so I think that I will need a pump or 7C carb.
With that muffler outlet restriction, the peak RPM dropped by ~1000 so I opened it back up after the test as that seemed too restrictive.
This surprised me, as the stock ST cylindrical muffler's outlet does not look any bigger than my 3/8" dia single outlet pitts.
To prove the point that its a lean-out , I just richened up the main needle to maybe 4 clicks leaner than 4 stroking, and managed to fly a full tank or two out barbling to beat the band, and hovering to lean it back out occasionally.
Able to fly it dry and the compression felt much better after those two rich tanks. My conclusion is that needling for peak on a full tank then two clicks richer results in a lean-out at half tank because the carb has no significant suction and there is no significant backpressure so its metering is very sensitive to tank level.
Meanwhile, I am really enjoying my 1/3 scale Byron Pitts- every one of its 11 landings has been a dead stick, but its still a blast to fly- biggest plane I've ever flown and I am starting to understand the "bigger flies better" adage..
That's how it went, thanks for asking capn!!
I plan to get a Perry pump and use the manometer to set for 0.5 psi pump pressure before needling around much. Sound like a good plan to you?
This is my first pump, and I have heard a lot of stories of bad experience with a pump. The pump will also allow me to add a hopper tank per your sketch at the top of this page.