RCU Forums - View Single Post - The problem with being a beginner.
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The problem with being a beginner.

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Or sometimes you just reward yourself for staying out of the ''Gentlemen s Clubs'' during your mid-life crisis! [X(]
Some go there to read the articles, they're very well written.

Can't say I enjoy going back to trainers or think it's a good idea to stay in a trainer for long. Once you learn orientation and landing without mangling the nose gear, you'll advance so much faster moving up to a low wing trainer or easy flying sport / pattern plane to develop good stick habits that apply to a much larger array of aircraft.
Some can develop bad habits with settling in with what in any other aircraft could be labeled as over correcting.

I went back to "nutritional" kit building, and abandoned "junk food" ARFs. So much more gratification on the maiden flight, and I enjoyed building as much as flying. Like fast food, it's convenient when you're in a hurry, but there is a downside. Some exceptions to ARF quality being acceptable would be the Zlin I recently bought from Tower. Although the covering was like the neck of a 90 year old woman, the construction was really strong and it flew great. I didn't have to chase bulkheads with epoxy and run CA down inside the wing halves to be sure it was held together by more than the Monokote adhesive.