Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The problem with being a beginner.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The problem with being a beginner.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The problem with being a beginner.

You get addicted as you grow. Sometimes you build the same kit several times because they are just THAT GOOD! And sometimes, there is nothing wrong with a cheap Tower Hobbies trainer ARF because with diversity brings broadened knowledge and the ability to help others with a "Loaner". Or sometimes you just reward yourself for staying out of the "Gentlemen s Clubs" during your mid-life crisis! [X(]

Whats your story?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91300.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1611816  
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The problem with being a beginner.

When I started I built 8 Up-Roars for myself and friends. I was into a lot of fun fly events back then and they tended to live a short life but the plane was that good. I have yet to build the 4* for myself but I have taught a lot of people how to build and I started using the 60 size 4* as the training aid/kit. I can't recall how many of them I have built now. I'm building from plans the only plane I have ever built twice sense the Up-Roars. I usually only build any plane once then move onto something different. It was a favorite and there was a sale on the plans so I bought another set. You don't have to be a beginner to to get strung out on planes. I even have an old trainer ARF with a good engine I get a kick out of flying.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 PM
ES CONTROL

I Have another U Can Do . Not because it can 3D, but it is my trainer on low rates.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Or sometimes you just reward yourself for staying out of the ''Gentlemen s Clubs'' during your mid-life crisis! [X(]
Some go there to read the articles, they're very well written.

Can't say I enjoy going back to trainers or think it's a good idea to stay in a trainer for long. Once you learn orientation and landing without mangling the nose gear, you'll advance so much faster moving up to a low wing trainer or easy flying sport / pattern plane to develop good stick habits that apply to a much larger array of aircraft.
Some can develop bad habits with settling in with what in any other aircraft could be labeled as over correcting.

I went back to "nutritional" kit building, and abandoned "junk food" ARFs. So much more gratification on the maiden flight, and I enjoyed building as much as flying. Like fast food, it's convenient when you're in a hurry, but there is a downside. Some exceptions to ARF quality being acceptable would be the Zlin I recently bought from Tower. Although the covering was like the neck of a 90 year old woman, the construction was really strong and it flew great. I didn't have to chase bulkheads with epoxy and run CA down inside the wing halves to be sure it was held together by more than the Monokote adhesive.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tsk, tsk, tsk... All those kits and not a single Ultra Sport!

Better put one on your Christmas list
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 AM

My biggest problem is funding.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Trainers are a kick in the pants. I have pattern and IMAC planes, I have owned and flown 40+% planes and went back down to 1/4 scale or smaller. Not too long ago a friend gave me an old trainer so I could get an old student back into the air. I set it up and gave it the maiden. I had another giant scale buddy come out and trim the buddy box for me. We both were having so much fun flying the trainer I never even got fuel in the other planes I took out. I can't think of any plane that is more fun on real high wind days. New people want to get away from there trainers as fast as they can but people in the know enjoy the heck out of them. When someone is moving up to other types of planes and getting rid of there trainer I'm right there with my hands out.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: 378

Minnflyer and hundreds of others would rate the Ultra Sport as a great flying machine you must try, while you still can. The 40 is gone, all that's left is the 60 from Tower. You could sell your LT-40 and Four Star for funding, and have no regrets. Been there done that. It's easy to get addicted to Ultra Sports. The first won't be your last.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: rambler53

ORIGINAL: 378

Minnflyer and hundreds of others would rate the Ultra Sport as a great flying machine you must try, while you still can. The 40 is gone, all that's left is the 60 from Tower. You could sell your LT-40 and Four Star for funding, and have no regrets. Been there done that. It's easy to get addicted to Ultra Sports. The first won't be your last.
All I need to complete my NexSTAR is a radio and misc field gaer. Selling it to buy the other plane wouldn't change that, I'd still need those items.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 PM
GaryHarris

Christmas in May!

It's on the way!

OS .91?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary,
 The Ultra Sport is actually a plane that is a bit odd that it defies the normal "more is better" when it comes to engines. If you're talking about a 91 4-stroke the US actually is better with a 2-stroke engine in it. And if you're talking about a 91 2-stroke you would be better with the 75 AX. Trust me in that a US 60 with a 75 AX is one sweet combo!!!!! you won't regret it!!!

Ken
Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Gary,
The Ultra Sport is actually a plane that is a bit odd that it defies the normal ''more is better'' when it comes to engines. If you're talking about a 91 4-stroke the US actually is better with a 2-stroke engine in it. And if you're talking about a 91 2-stroke you would be better with the 75 AX. Trust me in that a US 60 with a 75 AX is one sweet combo!!!!! you won't regret it!!!

Ken
Gotcha Ken. Ears wide open and I trust you and Mike.