RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?

ORIGINAL: Turqui

I have a few used 2 and 4 stroke engines that im going to store for a while; so they have been for a few days sitting inside a container with ATF; the next step is to flush them with this product i purchased at home depot; how good and safe is this product:;S-L-X denatured alcohol made by: klean-strip? Is this 100% alcohol?
The step after the flush is marvel mistery oil for air tools and storage.
So this alcohol y puechased is any good? Safe?
Thanks rverybody.
Denatured alcohol (ethanol with methanol for denaturing) is not a solvent for ATF which is petro based. Kerosene would be better for flushing and does not absorb moisture like alcohol. I use Marvel Mystery Air tool oil for after run and storage. Or, sometimes I use ATF, but not Ford F ATF (Ref W8YE) for both. MM Air tool oil is also petro based and not disolvable in methanol in our glow fuel, but it will be flushed from the engine on short order from the first run after storage. Just make sure the crankcase and chamber are not loaded which could cause hydraulic block and damage to the con rod when starting. Or. flush the ATF or MM ATO with some light petro distallate before first start.

YS engines use silicone rubber for the pump/regulator diaphrahm and petro base after run or storage oils should not be used with these engines as it will destroy that diaphrahm.

BTW Methanol is very poisonous and strong suggestions are listed for keeping it off your skin or breathing the fumes. It caused severe gastric disturbances, blindness and death.

Rubbing alcohol (isopropanyl) is much safer, but not to drink. It absorbs water also, like all alcohols I know of.

BTW, I have know people that have stored full size V8 car engines in a drum of oil for storage. Pricey at today's oil prices.[]

Good luck.