RCU Forums - View Single Post - 250cc Briggs & Stratton for large scale planes?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM
fillopygeesi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250cc Briggs & Stratton for large scale planes?

Ok this may be dumb but I was wondering. If someone was to build a 1/4 scale plane such as I would love to build a 1/4 scale tbm avenger (wouldnt happen any time soon =( $$$) . Engines to power such a plane are very expensive, cheapest Ive seen so far is the DLE 222cc for around $1700 to 1800!!! and other brands more. I was wonder what others thought of using this engine. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5693_200355693

Has anyones tried somthing like this? I know it has a shipping weight of 40lbs wittch would obviously be way to heavy. But take off all the stuff you wouldnt need such as the heavy cast iron flywheel, clutch, magnito, fuel tank and all that plastic shouds and Im sure theres more. Modify it with better exaust, electronic ignition, and take out the govenor (or at least turn up the rps or somthing) Seems that this could work and be a heck of alot less expensive. I know this stile of motor dosent rev much rpms but with a 36x20 prop I woudnt think you would need but about 3000 to 4000 rpm. Just a thought